FURNESS Premier League new boys British Legion survived a Bootle reserves comeback to win 3-2 in an entertaining clash at Biggar Bank.

Legion were out of the traps quickest with the wind at their backs in this Division Two encounter, and they opened the scoring when a stunning assist from Carl Gill set up Paul Williams.

The game remained 1-0 until half-time as Legion went out for the second half against the wind.

Bootle came close before Legion broke through again, with Gill this time setting up Danny Bewley to finish in style.

Legion then made it 3-0. Gill completed his hat-trick of assists as he put through Paul Williams for his second. Bootle continued to press and their efforts were rewarded on the hour as Kieran Lawson converted a well-taken Chris Scott corner for 3-1.

Bootle had the wind in their sails after that, and Legion were on the back foot and they made it 3-2 with two minutes left to play.

A long ball over the top saw Legion keeper Shane Postlethwaite hesitate in coming off his line forcing left back Darryl Johnson to attempt to clear the ball.

However he ended up sending it into his own net after coming under some intense pressure from the Bootle attack.

That proved to be the last kick of the game as the referee blew up for full-time.

Other fixtures in the second division saw league leaders Croftlands Park Reserves beat GSK Ulverston Reserves 6-0 thanks to goals from Isaac Prosser (4) Gary Prosser and Charlie Segger.

Holker Old Boys A beat second-placed Kirkby United Reserves 4-1. Sam Hunt, Christian Squire and the veteran duo of Paul Southward and Reece Hudson (penalty) all scored a goal apiece. Mike Fugler replied for Kirkby.

Millom St James beat Britannia Reserves 5-3.

Jamie Pattinson, Dec Pugh, Billy Milner, Aaron Giles and Jordan Hawden were Millom’s scorers.

Mark Heseltine, Ryan Barker and an own goal made up the Brit’s tally.

In Division One Hawcoat Park stay top of the pile after a 3-0 win over Barrow Celtic Reserves.

Jake Reynolds (2) and Matty Pickering both netted for Hawcoat.

Askam United Reserves beat Vickerstown A 1-0.

Bridge United lost a high scoring encounter 6-4 to Millom A. Marcus Robinson, Kieron Roberts, Lee Harkin and an own goal weren’t enough for Bridge as Ben McDonald (4) Marcus O’Brien and Lee Postlethwaite made sure of the points for Millom.

Crooklands Casuals Resereves drew 2-2 with Barrow Wanderers. Brad Hamilton and Jordan Swarbrick scored for Wanderers, Scott Phizacklea and Andrew Pearson replied for Cassies.

Furness Rovers Reserves drew 0-0 with Swarthmoor Reserves.

In the Premier Division Swarthmoor moved to the top of the table after a 4-1 win over Millom Reserves.

Graham Wilcox scored all of Swarthmoors goals. Andy Woodburn was on target for Millom.

Bootle lost 5-1 at home to Furness Cavaliers Reserves.

Ben Tiffney, Matty Gregg, Joe Blackshaw (2) and Scott Linklater were Cavs’ scorers. Aaron Bradley replied for Bootle.

Coniston picked up their first three points of the season and in some style by beating Dalton United Reserves 8-2.

Callum Bircher (4), Ben Clarke (3) and Tommy Clarke were the home side’s scorers. Mark Jones and Brad Jones replied for Dalton.

Haverigg and Croftlands had a good old battle which resulted in a 2-2 draw, Matt Dean scored both of Croftlands goals. Haverigg’s efforts came by way of Jack Cullen and an own goal.

Vickerstown Reserves drew 3-3 away at Kirkby.

Andy Higginson, Ryan Docherty and Robbie McMurdo were all on target for Vickerstown.

Holker Old Boys moved up to 14th in the North West Counties Division One table after a superb 3-0 away win at Abbey Hulton United.

Robbie Wallace, Danny Keenan and an own goal put Holker three up by half-time and made the long journey home a lot better with three points on board for Guy Heffernan’s men.

In the West Lancs League Premier Division Vickerstown lost 2-1 at home to Slyne with Hest. Rob Bruce scored for the Park Vale outfit, who had Danny Graham sent off in the second half.

GSK Ulverston Rangers continued their good form with a 7-3 win at home over Fulwood Amateurs Reserves. Sean Darby (3) Andy Whiteford (2) and player manager James Pinnegor (2) were the GSK scorers.

Hawcoat Park picked up a point at home after a 1-1 draw with Lytham. Zach Walker scored for Hawcoat.

Crooklands lost 1-0 at Poulton.

Askam staged the comeback of the day after being 3-0 down at half-time to Stoneclough.

Goals from Dec Kell (2), Josh Cronin, Callum Rayner and Scott O’Reilly saw them run out 5-4 winners.

In Division Two Dalton beat Euxton Villa Reserves by a comfortable 4-0 margin.

The club’s record goal-scorer Gareth Jones bagged a brace, Kane Fitch and Frazer Shand shared the other two.

Furness Rovers picked up their first three points of the season after a 3-1 win over below-par Walney Island.

Matt Lockley put Walney ahead but Chris Lowe equalised on the hour mark.

Walney then had Josh Huitson dismissed and Rovers could sense a victory.

An own goal and an excellent Tyler Wood strike finished the job off for the away side who were well worthy of the points.

Furness Cavaliers were postponed as was Millom’s game.

Millom have a 100 per cent record in the league, but a cup run and recent bad weather means they are looking at a fixture backlog.