KIRKBY United will be the new name etched onto the Paul Wilson Memorial Trophy after their 2-0 win over Barrow Celtic in the showpiece final, writes Steve Brennan.

Man of the match Sam Pinnegor struck for Kirkby in Friday’s final at Rakesmoor Lane, and their lead was doubled by way of an unfortunate own goal.

Celtic were looking to force their way into the game, but their cause wasn’t helped with two sendings off reducing them to nine men.

Another team in action on Friday night were Millom as they travelled to Ladybridge and came away with a point after a 2-2 draw. Steve Grieve and Josh Keen were on target for the newly-promoted side.

On Saturday most local sides wrapped up their West Lancs League campaigns.

In the First Division Hawcoat finished in seventh after a 1-0 defeat away at CMB, the goal coming in the 88th minute.

GSK Ulverston Rangers lost 3-1 at home to Eagley, with Matty Lawlor on target for GSK.

In Division Two Walney Island finish the season in fifth place after a 2-1 win away at Croston Sports. Mattie McKee kept up his excellent recent form with an unstoppable 25-yard free-kick and Kieron Sollaway put Waney 2-0 up before a late reply from Croston.

In the Premier Division Vickerstown, who have steered themselves to safety still have two games remaining after a 3-2 loss away at Hasingden. Birthday boy Danny Keenan helped himself to both goals.

The Furness Premier League season is still not over for some teams. However, Walney Reserves finished their season with a 1-1 draw against Dalton United Reserves.

Devon Mulholland scored for Dalton, and Carl Hill replied for Walney. Another team finshing their campaign was Haverigg United and they beat Holker Old Boys Reserves 2-1 at Rakesmoor. Gav Scudamore and John Chmiel both found the net for Haverigg, while Kev Watkin hit Holker’s reply.

Vickerstown Reserves and Millom Reserves played out a nine-goal bonanza at Park Vale which the home side won 5-4.

Tom Dawson (2) Will McGuire, Mac Creighton and Ryan Jackson all found the net for Vickerstown. Steve Grieve, Joe Dobson, James Turner and Andy Woodburn were on target for Millom.

With cups still to be decided and final league positions to be finalised it is going to be one of the longest seasons I can remember.

I would just like to say a thank-you on behalf of all clubs to the different league committees and fixtures secretaries who have had to deal with an unprecedented number of matches being called off or postponed due to the large amount of rainfall during the winter months.

They have a thankless task at times and to try to fit all the games into an already prolonged season is no easy task. Without the organising they do behind the scenes we wouldn’t have leagues and cups to play in. So a big thanks and let’s hope the weather deals us a better hand next season.