HEAVY rain and thunderstorms put paid to much of the North Lancs and Cumbria Cricket League weekend schedule.

After weeks of nothing but sunshine and dry tracks, a whole host of games were abandoned without a ball being bowled.

As well as league matches, Sunday's County Cup semi-final between Barrow and Furness was also called off.

Cockermouth were the major beneficiaries in the Premier Division, as their game at Haverigg was played to a conclusion – victory taking them above Cleator and into top spot.

Haverigg chose to bat at Poolside, and made a steady start, putting on 46 for the first wicket before Dale Graham went for 23.

Skipper Drew Postlethwaite (34) was joined by professional Roy Kaia (24), but from 71 for 3 after their dismissals, wickets fell regularly.

The Villagers were all out in 48 overs for 128.

Matthew Sempill took 3 for 10 in four overs and Chris Hodgson 3 for 42 in 14 overs.

Rain intervened in the interval, and the Duckworth-Lewis system gave Cockermouth a target of 69 in 18 overs.

The visitors went to the win in 10.5 overs at 71 for 3. Skipper Gareth White made 41 from 37 deliveries, with four fours and one six.

The 10 points put Cockermouth three points ahead at the top of the table, although Cleator have a game in hand.

Furness's bowlers were in good form at Workington, where they had the home side – who had won the toss and elected to bat – 102 for 6 after 36 overs. That was when the weather had the final say and the game was abandoned.

Mark Daly, professional Rishi Dhawan and Garry Thompson had each taken two wickets at that point.

There was also play at Wigton v Whitehaven, where Whitehaven were put into bat and were grateful to their pro Mohammad Yasin, who made 70 of their 177 all out total. No-one else reached 20.

Wigton skipper Nico Watt returned 4 for 55 in 12.3 overs.

In reply, Wigton had made 23 without loss in 6.3 overs, when rain prevented further play.

There was no play in the games between Lindal Moor and Cleator, Millom and Carlisle, and Keswick and Dalton.

In Division One, Kirkby moved within nine points of leaders Egremont as they raced to victory at home to Ulverston.

The visitors had first knock and batted well to put 213 for 7 on the board in 48 overs, Gareth Yates making 63 and Stuart Cooper 44.

Rain caused overs to be lost, and the new target for Kirkby was 106 in 16 overs.

After being 31 for 3, Mike Fugler, with an unbeaten 50, and Sam Marshall, 23 not out, put on 75 to take Kirkby to 106 for 3 in 14.4 overs and 10 important points.

Nine-man Workington A were all out for 52 in 24 overs at Oxford Street against Furness A.

Rain reduced the Furness target to 48 in 19 overs, but they knocked them off with ease, reaching 51 for 3 in five overs.

At Ernest Pass, Barrow A won the toss, batted, and made an excellent start to be 132 for 4 when rain brought the game to a close. Rashid Ahmad made 40 and Jon Sturgeon 35.

Hawcoat Park were 102 for 8 in 34 overs at home to Egremont when the game was abandoned due to rain.

The final match saw Cockermouth A all out for 104 in 34 overs at home to Seascale.

Rain left the visitors with a target of 97 from 39 overs. With Seascale on 7 for 1 after five overs, further downpours prevented any more play.