GATESHEAD 1 (York 43) BARROW 2 (Harrison 33, Panayiotou 58)

BARROW made it back-to-back wins on the road inside four days with an impressive victory on Tyneside.

The Bluebirds' 26-game unbeaten run came to a shuddering halt on their last appearance on Tyneside, when they went down 4-1.

That was just over 11 months ago under Paul Cox, with the new man at the AFC helm, Ady Pennock, turning the tide.

Gateshead had kept a clean sheet in each of their last five games, but they were unable to stretch their unbeaten run to six games.

Barrow ended their search for a first away win at Eastleigh on Saturday, and they were immediately on the front foot.

Three times they carved openings in the first six minutes after Luke Hannant had a powerful shot deflected wide at the other end.

A lightning break saw Bradley Bauress release Byron Harrison, but the striker passed the chance up by pushing Heed defender Scott Barrow.

Adi Yussuf then shot straight at Gateshead's former Carlisle keeper Dan Hanford, the home side sluggish as AFC again went close.

Gateshead were opened up again on 24 minutes and stood off before captain Neill Byrne deflected Yussuf's shot inches wide.

Hannant got a lucky break just outside the box but curled over, Barrow deservedly ahead as play switched to the other end.

Bauress slipped in Harrison one-on-one, and this time the finish was emphatic as he calmly stroked the ball into the far bottom corner.

The lead, however, lasted only 10 minutes, Hannant's weighted ball struck past Stuart Moore by Wes York.

It was a bad time for Barrow to concede, Pennock's side the better one in the first half – the second starting dramatically.

Both sides hit the post with the keeper beaten Harrison with a header from Harry Panayiotou's corner on the left.

Play then swept to the other end, the lively Hannant's 20-yard drive striking the foot of the post.

It wasn't long before a crowd of 663 at the International Stadium witnessed another goal – and what a beauty it was.

Panayiotou's turn left Birmingham loanee Luke Maxwell for dead, the midfielder arrowing a 30-yard thunderbolt into the top corner.

Gateshead threw on another big man up top, Richard Peniket, but struggled to create chances against a determined AFC.

The Bluebirds' work ethic was there for all to see, and they almost extended their lead through Bedesente Gomis' shot from distance.

Hanford had to tip around the post at full stretch, Barrow bringing on experienced player/coach Grant Holt to see the game out.

It was a big three points for a resurgent Barrow – taking them four clear of the relegation zone – and a win they fully deserved on the banks of the Tyne.

Gateshead: (4-3-3): Dan Hanford; Robbie Tinkler, Neill Byrne, Jamal Fyfield, Scott Barrow (JJ O'Donnell 87); Luke Hannant (Russell Penn 63), Luke Maxwell, Paddy McLaughlin; Danny Johnson, Jordan Burrow, Wes York (Richard Peniiket 73).

Substitutes Not Used: James Montgomery, Theo Vassell.

Yellow Cards: Tinkler (55).

Barrow AFC (4-4-2): Stuart Moore 7; Jimmy Dunne 8, Moussa Diarra 8, Tony Diagne 7, Paul Bignot 7; Harry Panayiotou 7, Bedsente Gomis 7, Asa Hall 7, Bradley Bauress 9 (Dominic Makoma 84); Byron Harrison 7 (Grant Holt 79), Adi Yussuf 7 (Jordan White 68 6).

Substitutes Not Used: Joel Dixon, Chris Clements.

Yellow Cards: Moussa Diarra (69).

Referee: Andrew Miller (County Durham).

Attendance: 663 (67 from Barrow).

Star Man: Bradley Bauress – A great performance in the middle of the park and the creative link as Barrow posed problems for a second-best Gateshead.