Bromley 1 Barrow AFC 2

While Barrow AFC’s players and management staff will be doing everything possible to keep their feet on the ground, their supporters will be forgiven for getting excited after seeing their team do a job on Bromley.

Coming into this game, the Ravens hadn’t been defeated on their own (artificial) turf since April, were top of the table and focused on getting back on track after Yeovil had ended their unbeaten start to the season the previous week.

Instead, they were largely played off the park by the Bluebirds, whose winning run is now starting to break club records.

Never before had they won six on the spin at National League level, but they kept their hosts at arm’s length for the majority of the contest while displaying the new-found cutting edge that has propelled them up the table.

Manager Ian Evatt described reaching the top seven at the end of last month as the ‘minimum’ and in hitting the heady heights of fifth, his side gave the clearest indication yet that they could be here to stay at the upper reaches of the division.

Four out of the six wins have come on the road and this was definitely the most impressive of them, given the form and position of their opponents.

There wasn’t a weak point in the team’s performance, with Joel Dixon commanding his penalty area yet again and Matt Platt ensuring Bromley striker Michael Cheek’s attempts at intimidation had no effect.

Jason Taylor provided the back three with extra protection, while Scott Quigley gave a masterclass in bringing others into play with his hold-up work.

Quigley has garnered plenty of headlines in the last two months, but it was his strike partner who stepped into the limelight, just days after admitting it was time he started to chip in.

It had been an assured display from the Bluebirds by the time they went ahead after 36 minutes, as they pressed the accelerator after an extended period of patiently keeping the ball.

It was Taylor who provided the killer pass for Dior Angus, who finally found the net this season, albeit in scruffy fashion, as the ball trickled into the net via the post.

In a way, it was a typical goal to end a drought, but it could prove to be a spark for Angus, whose all-round play genuinely has been good and it was great to see his efforts get its reward at last.

One of Barrow’s former habits almost made a return three minutes into the second half, as they came within a whisker of losing their lead when Cheek’s looping header bounced off the bar.

Five minutes later, it was 2-0 as Angus turned provider by shaking off Luke Coulson before charging into the penalty area and giving Quigley the easiest of finishes for his ninth goal in 11 games.

The Bluebirds seemed to be seeing the game out in an uneventful fashion before Cheek pulled one back for Bromley almost out of the blue when he turned in Adam Mekki’s cross.

Not long ago, this would have had AFC pressing the panic button, but they’ve quickly developed into a much steelier prospect, which is why they’re setting their sights even higher now.

Bromley (4-4-2): Huddart, Coulson, Okoye, Holland, Wood, Doughty (Klass 81), Raymond, Bingham, Hackett-Fairchild (Mekki 77), Cheek, Clifton (McCoulsky 59).

Subs not used: Dunne, Rees.

Barrow AFC (3-1-4-2): Dixon, Hird, Platt, Brough, Taylor, Barry, Rooney, Hardcastle (Dyson 79), Kay, Angus (Hindle 70), Quigley (Harrison 76).

Subs not used: Brown, Granite.

Referee: Tom Reeves

Attendance: 2,043 (116 away)

Bluebirds star man: Scott Quigley