Bromley 1 Barrow AFC 2

Two months into the season and Barrow AFC are starting to break club records after they racked up their sixth consecutive victory by toppling leaders Bromley in their own back yard.

It’s the first time the Bluebirds have put together such a run at National League and it has lifted them up to fifth in the table, as the fantastic turnaround from the tough start to the season continues.

Before this match Dior Angus has had to watch Scott Quigley and John Rooney hoover up the goals, while struggling to get off the mark himself.

That changed at Hayes Lane, as he finally broke his duck by opening the scoring and he played a huge role in what turned out to be the decisive goal, as he set up Quigley for his ninth in 11 games.

The record books remain open for AFC, who will have the chance to make it a magnificent seven against Boreham Wood on Tuesday night and you wouldn’t back against them after this textbook away performance.

Barrow made just one change from the team that comfortably defeated Maidenhead United last week, as midfielder Lewis Hardcastle came into the fold, as Olly Dyson moved to the bench.

The Bluebirds made an assured start, with Rooney having as couple of early efforts, as he looked to continue his magnificent goalscoring run.

There were no clear opportunities in the first 20 minutes, as the game degenerated into the sort of scrappy contest AFC manager Ian Evatt thought it may become on the artificial turf.

Rooney then had the chance to open the scoring from a free kick (having struck with four of them so far this season) in the 24th minute, but he whipped his effort into the side netting.

Bromley, meanwhile, had been kept very quiet in the opening half-hour, with their passing not clicking into gear and Matt Platt once again marshalling the Barrow defence well.

Then came the moment Angus has been waiting so long for, as he kept up the Bluebirds’ remarkable record of scoring first in every away game they’ve played this season after 36 minutes.

After a patient spell of passing, Jason Taylor slid in a lovely ball into the area and Angus turned away from Marc-Anthony Okoye before scuffing his shot in off the post – scruffy, but just the turn of luck he needed to finally get off the mark.

After Angus was cynically brought down by Sam Wood, Rooney had another free kick opportunity, but again he couldn’t hit the target, as the ball just wouldn’t dip in time.

This was the tenth game away game in a row, including two from last season, that AFC have led at half-time.

They nearly lost their advantage three minutes after the restart, however, as Michael Cheek looped a header from Wood’s cross over Joel Dixon and on to the cross bar.

Having survived that scare, the visitors doubled their lead in the 53rd minute, as Angus shrugged off Luke Coulson and bore down on the penalty area before his ball across goal gave Quigley a tap-in.

Bromley really struggled to find a way back into the game and Wood shanking a long-range shot well wide from long range was a sign of their desperation.

Evatt, meanwhile, felt comfortable enough to bring off his two goalscorers, as Jack Hindle and Byron Harrison came on.

It wasn’t to be a cruise to the finish line for Barrow, though, as the hosts pulled one back with four minutes left when Cheek got in front of his marker to turn in Adam Mekki’s low cross.

The Bluebirds didn’t just sit back and almost had a third when Rooney lashed over from outside the box in stoppage time and it was fitting that they should wrap up such a superb result on the front foot.

Bromley (4-4-2): Huddart, Coulson, Okoye, Holland, Wood, Doughty (Klass 81), Raymond, Bingham, Hackett-Fairchild (Mekki 77), Cheek, Clifton (McCoulsky 59).

Subs not used: Dunne, Rees.

Barrow AFC (3-1-4-2): Dixon, Hird, Platt, Brough, Taylor, Barry, Rooney, Hardcastle (Dyson 79), Kay, Angus (Hindle 70), Quigley (Harrison 76).

Subs not used: Brown, Granite.

Referee: Tom Reeves

Attendance: 2,043 (116 away)

Bluebirds star man: Scott Quigley