Jack Hindle made the most of his run-out by scoring twice for Barrow AFC in their penalty shoot-out victory against Oldham Athletic in the first round of the Lancashire Senior Cup on Tuesday night.

The Bluebirds came from 3-1 down to force a 3-3 draw on what was an entertaining night at Holker Street before they eventually prevailed 12-11 on spot kicks, of which 26 were taken.

It was a match where manager Ian Evatt gave his fringe players a chance to impress, with seven of his first-team squad in the starting line-up.

It was a mixed night for them, with Hindle impressive in scoring his brace and Morgan Penfold helping his confidence with a late equaliser, but club captain Josh Granite had a tricky time of it, as he scored an own goal and was at fault for the Latics’ third.

Barrow got off to a great start when Jamie Hodgson played a nice ball through for Hindle, who smashed a shot into the top corner from a narrow angle to give the hosts the lead after just four minutes.

Granite then almost cost the Bluebirds their lead when he lost the ball to Jonny Smith just outside his own area, but Urko Vera bailed him out by dragging his shot a couple of yards wide.

But Oldham did draw level soon after, with Smith sliding in the rebound after AFC ‘keeper Brad Wade had done well to save Dominic McHale’s deflected effort.

Granite then made a very good block from Mo Sylla’s shot after the midfielder had shrugged Hodgson off the ball before Oliver Greaves blazed a great chance over for Barrow following some lovely footwork.

Oldham were then gifted a 2-1 lead six minutes before half-time when Granite got his feet in a muddle and ended up turning Smith’s cross from the left into his own net.

Hindle had a good chance to equalise for Barrow in the 58th minute when a ball over the top from Mark Waddington put him through on goal, but Latics goalkeeper Gregor Zabret stood tall to make the block.

Granite’s tough night continued when his slack pass went straight to Callum Dolan, who drove on before playing in Desire Segbe Azankpo and the attacker finished confidently to extend the visitors’ lead.

But the Bluebirds were given a lifeline when Connor Brown was chopped down in the area by Zak Mills and Hindle tucked away his penalty with 15 minutes left.

AFC then drew level late in the piece, as Waddington played the ball through for Penfold, whose shot took a huge deflection off Oldham defender Jamie Stott, with the ball looping into the net.

This forced a shoot-out, which went all the way through all 22 players, with both teams missing twice, before Wade eventually saved from Stott, allowing Greaves to tuck in the winning penalty.