Aldershot Town 1 Barrow AFC 2

Finally, an away win for Barrow AFC, even though they almost produced their biggest giveaway of all in the closing stages at Aldershot Town.

The Bluebirds dominated the majority of this match, not just the first half, like in previous games on their travels this season, with their performance building on their half-time lead.

They even added to it when Josh Kay made the most of a defensive mix-up with just under a quarter of the game left, at which point AFC were still making all the chances at the Recreation Ground.

Another morale-boosting result at Aldershot was on its way, and a comfortable one of that.

And yet, Barrow still found a way making things incredibly hard for themselves in the final 20 minutes, through a mixture of nerves, based on what's happened before in the campaign, and individual errors creeping back into their game.

One such error from Sam Hird led to the Shots gaining a route back into the game they barely deserved - even they admitted as such - before a soft penalty given away by Jack Hindle in the third minute of stoppage time threatened to undo everything.

It was the fourth penalty in five games the Bluebirds have conceded. The previous three had all found the net, but this time Joel Dixon made himself the hero, as he pushed away Connor Shields' spot kick.

It was the second week in a row Shields had missed from 12 yards, although it looked for all the world he'd have an immediate chance to atone, only for Matt Platt to come from nowhere to make a last-ditch challenge.

It was fitting that Platt should have his moment of glory as well after a second impressive performance at centre back since beginning his second loan spell at Holker Street from Blackburn Rovers.

With the 21-year-old part of a back three with Hird and Patrick Brough, Aldershot created very little until that mad finish.

The first half followed a familiar tale for AFC on the road, although this time they had to take the lead not once but twice.

They thought they'd gone ahead after 17 minutes when Kay stretched to put the ball into an empty net, the ball running his way after Olly Dyson had been challenged in the area.

Barrow's players had been celebrating for some time before the referee eventually chalked the goal off for offside after consulting with his linesman, leading manager Ian Evatt to compare the incident to the sort of delays VAR has brought into football.

But the Bluebirds drew ahead after all just before half-time, as John Rooney's deflected free kick nestled in the bottom corner.

It was Rooney's third goal of the season and it rewarded another fine display from the midfielder, who is really making things tick from the middle of the park at the moment.

Kay claimed one that couldn't be struck off when an awful mistake from Aldershot's Max Hunt, who took the ball off his own 'keeper, presented him with one of the easiest goals he'll score.

The only disappointment is that AFC couldn't dominate from that position, but that away-day monkey on their backs has been shifted, if only just.

Aldershot Town (4-2-3-1): Walker, Tinkler, Lyons-Foster, Fowler, Kinsella, Rance, Whittingham (Santos 65), Shields, Chislett, Eyoma (Hunt 45), Mullings (Fletcher 66).

Subs not used: Kudyiwa, Wylie.

Barrow AFC (3-4-1-2): Dixon, Hird, Platt, Brough, Barry, Rooney, Taylor, Kay, Dyson (Hardcastle 74), Angus (Hindle 63), Harrison.

Subs not used: Granite, Waddington, Penfold.

Referee: James Durkin

Attendance: 1,633 (68 away)

Bluebirds star man: Matt Platt