MICKY Moore’s torrid time as Barrow AFC manager ended as abruptly as it started, as the club swung the axe.

Moore was shown the Holker Street exit door less than a month after he took charge on a permanent basis, and only seven-and-a-half weeks on from the resignation of Paul Cox, which led to him being made caretaker boss.

The Midlander, who came into Holker Street in the summer to reunite with Cox – the pair having guided Mansfield Town to the Conference title together – enjoyed no luck during his spell.

But a run of only one win in 11 matches since August 24 – including Sunday’s conclusive FA Cup exit at the hands of Northern Premier League Shaw Lane – told a story greater than bad fortune.

Despite having signed a two-and-a-half-year deal last month, pressure had grown after that defeat, with chairman Paul Casson barracked by several supporters after the full-time whistle as he sat on the sidelines having undertaken radio commentary duty during the game.

Neill Hornby, who only signed on as Moore’s assistant with the Bluebirds on Friday, will take interim charge of the team until a new first-team manager is appointed.

A club statement said: “Barrow AFC have parted company with first team manager Micky Moore.

“Moore took interim charge of the Bluebirds following the departure of Paul Cox in August, and became our permanent manager in September.

“Chairman Paul Casson said; “I would like to thank Micky for all his efforts both as assistant manager and as manager. We are all disappointed that it hasn’t worked out, Micky inherited a difficult situation and he gave his all towards it. I wish him the best of luck for his future career.

“As a club we will take this opportunity to take full stock of where we are, and ensure we have the right people in the right places for the rest of what will be a tough season.”

“Assistant manager Neill Hornby will take charge of the team until the process to find a new first-team manager is complete.”

Moore found himself catapulted into the hotseat only five games into the season, when Cox resigned – subsequently to take charge at league rivals Guiseley – after a start to the campaign which had seen them win just once.

He took interim charge while the Bluebirds pondered a permanent successor, claiming one win, three draws and suffering two defeats before he was confirmed as taking the job ahead of the trip to Sutton United. Since then, AFC have lost four games and drawn one – a 2-2 result against Leyton Orient at Holker Street – to sit only one point and one place above the National League relegation zone.