Barrow Raiders 26
Workington 12

Barrow got back to winning ways after four successive defeats but came up against a Town side that wouldn’t throw in the towel.

There was only one team in it in the first half, with the home side going in at the break 20-0 ahead.

However it was Town who came good in the second half and for the first 25 minutes pounded the home line – but all credit to Barrow’s defence who refused to surrender.

Only in the 65th and 73rd minutes did Town finally breach what was a solid defensive line.

Will Tate touched down prior to Evan Simons and with Carl Forber adding the goals it was 22-12 and game on.

Town went narrowly close on two occasions before Dan Toal put the game to bed with a late converted try.

Prior to kick off both teams and supporters gave a rapturous one-minute applause in respect to one of West Cumbria’s greatest half backs Arnie “Boxer” Walker, who passed away this week aged 70.

Arnie played for both Town and Haven and for Great Britain.

Barrow had to make late changes with Salford re-calling Matty Costello while Gary Wheeler pulled out through injury. The Toal brothers Dan and Shane took up the centre berths.

The home side were up and running on five minutes when former Town winger Brett Carter went over courtesy of a Luke Creswell pass, 4-0.

Four minutes later, Josh Wood was the provider for Carl Forster to power over by the posts for Jake Carter to convert, 10-0.

Ryan Johnston was next on the score board when he chipped over the Town’s defence to regather and touch down,Carter tagging on the goal to make it 16-0.

Town rarely threatened and went further behind when a neat cross kick from Jake Carter saw Creswell swoop to dot the ball down, Carter’s kick hitting the post and back into play, 20-0.

In the closing minutes, Connor Fitzsimmons was held up over the line with Rhys Clarke getting within inches of scoring.

The second half saw a different Town side. They threw the ball about at pace and stormed the home line but conceded a penalty, allowing Carter to kick the goal, 22-0. However it was all Town now but Barrow’s defence wouldn’t crack, with Fitzsimmons and Henson being halted short as the pressure mounted.

At the other end, on a rare attack, Baines stopped Jake Carter from almost certainly scoring a try.

Town were to open their account when Doran sent Will Tate over from close range, Forber converting. Then Emslie went close for Barrow only for a counter-attack to bring Town within hope as Tate raced clear, and despite a Creswell tackle Tate slipped the ball to Simons who raced over, Forber adding the goal 22-12.

Forber then tore through the cover only for Brett Carter and Wood to haul him down.

Barrow survived and a fine break from Emslie saw Dan Toal gallop in from 20 metres out, and it was game over.

BARROW: Creswell, Ritson, D Toal, S Toal, B Carter, J Carter, Johnstone, Forster, Wood, Brooks, Morrow, Stack, Iaria. Subs used: Mossop, Emslie, Gillam, Eshe.

WORKINGTON: Thomas, Clegg, Brown, Tate, Teare, Doran, Forber, Fitzsimmons, Simons, O’Brien, Davies, Barnes, O’Donnell. Subs used: Henson, Clarke, Wilkinson, Weetman.

REFEREE: Nick Bennett.


MEN OF THE MATCH: Barrow – Luke Creswell. Workington – Will Tate.