BARROW pulled away from the League Two relegation zone after claiming a 2-0 win at struggling Colchester United, at the JobServe Community Stadium.

Tom Dallison’s own goal and Josh Kay’s stoppage-time strike proved the difference between the two sides in the basement battle, as the Bluebirds claimed a crucial away win to move four points away from their opponents.

Barrow made three changes to their line-up for the game at Colchester.

Jacob Wakeling went straight into Mark Cooper’s side after joining on loan from Premier League Leicester City, while Will Harris also made his Bluebirds debut after his move from Sunderland.

Luke James was restored to Barrow attack, as they aimed to secure a crucial win on the road and their first league victory in four matches.

Barrow had an early scare in the third minute when Freddie Sears’ powerful effort from the edge of the area was well saved by goalkeeper Paul Farman.

But the visitors started to warm to the task and began to create some chances.

Patrick Brough’s stinging volley was heading in until Tchamadeu got in the way of the effort, while seconds later Wakeling’s header from a corner at the near post flashed inches wide of the far post for the visitors.

Colchester also threatened at times though and went close when Brendan Wiredu’s weak unmarked header from Cameron Coxe’s cross was sailing wide, with Miles Welch-Hayes unable to convert at the far post from close range.

But Barrow finished the first half strongly.

Just after the half hour, James Jones’ fizzing low effort was saved by Colchester goalkeeper Jake Turner and seconds later, Wakeling’s flicked header from a Ollie Banks pass flew just wide.

Skipper Banks was impressive in the first half for Barrow, controlling the midfield and pulling the strings.

Colchester did have a sight of goal five minutes before the break when Welch-Hayes’ through ball sent Sears through.

But Matt Platt did enough to put the U’s striker off and concede a corner.

The sides went in goal-less at half-time and Barrow started the second half well.

They almost scored just after the restart when Turner pushed away midfielder Tom White’s deflected effort.

And their pressure at the start of the second half paid off in the 53rd minute when Brough’s cross into the six-yard box hit Colchester debutant Tom Dallison and flew into the net.

Banks came close to making it 2-0 soon after when his crisp first-time effort from the edge of the area flew straight at Turner.

But Barrow received a let-off with 16 minutes remaining when Colchester skipper Luke Chambers’ hooked effort came back off the bar, after Dallison had headed on Alan Judge’s free-kick.

Barrow almost wrapped up the win late on when Turner pushed away substitute Jamie Devitt’s shot after a Barrow counter-attack.

And substitute Josh Kay secured their victory in stoppage-time when he swept home from Devitt’s pass after a swift break from the visitors, as Barrow claimed a big three points.