Barrow’s faithful fans finally experienced a first-hand Football League win at Holker Street for the first time since 1972.

Fans weren’t allowed inside stadiums for much of the season due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, with the misfiring Bluebirds failing to secure a welcome win since supporters returned.

But Scott Quigley’s penalty, Luke James’ classy chip and Harrison Biggins’ effort gave the 1,363 supporters in attendance an early Christmas present by gifting Rob Kelly his first win since taking caretaker charge following David Dunn’s sacking.

A vital three points ended a worrying run of five straight league defeats on the spin and aso secured the Bluebirds only their second home win of the season.

Victory propelled the strugglers three points clear of the League Two relegation zone.

And, more importantly, will give battling Barrow a much-needed confidence boost ahead of a busy festive schedule.

Caretaker boss Kelly named three changes to the side which lost at Scunthorpe on Tuesday night – his first game in charge of the club since the departure of Dunn after last weekend's defeat against Crawley Town.

Connor Brown came straight back into the side after his one-game suspension while Tom Beadling and James were both recalled against the high-flying Robins.

It was a real end-to-end opening as both sides went desperately close to opening the scoring.

Bluebirds' goalkeeper Joel Dixon got down well to make a low save from Chris Hussey’s early drive.

Returning James did well down the other end but could only fire wide.

This time it was Hussey playing the pass for the Robins as Andy Williams somehow nodded wide when unmarked.

Kelly’s Bluebirds were superbly kept at bay by visiting ‘keeper Josh Griffiths.

First he impressively tipped Beadling’s free-kick around the post in the 20th minute to keep the scores level and he was at it again moments later when he kept out Quigley’s powerful strike after he was well found by James to hold off the advancing home side as they hunted for the opening goal.

The hosts caught the Robins on the counter and Quigley should have scored when he fired over in a two-on-one situation.

Last season’s top scorer Quigley earned Kelly’s charges a penalty when he was brought down by Liam Sercombe in the box.

And the marksman made no mistake as he fired home from 12 yards to give the hosts the lead two minutes before half-time.

Quigley came close to doubling his tally in stoppage time when he dragged wide of the mark.

Cheltenham boss Michael Duff made a triple substitution at the break after a dismal first half from his charges.

It was the Bluebirds who had the first chance of the second period as Biggins blasted over the bar.

And Duff’s subs seemingly made no difference as the brilliant Bluebirds went two ahead.

Quigley broke through the visitor’s defence but his shot was well saved by Griffiths before James’ stunning chip put the game to bed.

Josh Kay missed a chance to put the hosts three up when he stabbed wide.

But Biggins made no mistake as he converted the rebound after James’ effort was parried into his path.