Barrow fans’ Holker Street homecoming was spoiled after a disappointing 1-0 defeat to Salford City.

Over 800 fans made their long-awaited return to Holker Street and finally managed to see their beloved Bluebirds back in the Football League for the first time since 1972.

But the hosts missed a whole host of great chances and ran into an inspired performance from Salford ‘keeper Vaclav Hladky as he made a string of fine saves to frustrate the hosts.

Ash Hunter’s second-half goal stole the spoils for the visitors.

It was another case of the performance not getting its deserved reward with all seven of the club’s league defeats coming to just one goal.

Manager David Dunn made a quintet of changes after his battling ten-man charges lost at Morecambe in midweek.

Tom Beadling returned after overcoming a niggling groin problem whilst Jayden Reid made his first league start of the season.

Both teams started slowly as the home fans roared on Dunn’s outfit.

Last season’s top scorer Scott Quigley had the hosts’ first sight on goal but his tame effort barely troubled Salford shot-stopper Vaclav Hladky.

Battling Barrow kept the ambitious visitors quiet.

Jason Lowe was restricted to an audacious 30-yard effort which flew well wide of the target as the visitors continued to be frustrated.

Quigley was booked for diving in the box as shouts for a penalty fell on deaf ears.

Moments later the frontman was frustrated as he saw his effort well kept out by Hladky as the hosts threatened.

The Quigley-Hladky battle went up a notch as the striker’s ferocious 20-yard volley was superbly tipped around the post by the spirited stopper.

Barrow continued to push hard for a deserved opener before the break.

Returning Beadling saw his header nestle on the roof of the net before Quigley was once again denied by a good low stop with Reid somehow firing the rebound over the bar in stoppage time.

Barrow were made to pay for their plethora of missed chances as Salford stormed out of the blocks after the restart.

Former Fleetwood ace Hunter’s cross-cum-shot went in off the far post to give the visitors something to defend.

Quigley squandered a huge chance to immediately level proceedings as his effort flew wide of the mark.

Luke James was the latest to go close for the hosts as his shot on the turn crept wide.

On the hour returning Reid forced Hladky into a good save after the ball fell kindly to him in the box.

Former Lincoln flair man Bruno Andrade showed his class to create a great chance to himself before curling his shot over the bar.

Dunn threw on Harrison Biggins and Dior Angus with 20 minutes left in a desperate bid to get something out of the game.

But the hosts huffed and puffed without causing the Ammies any issues as they fell to a painful defeat.