Since the Covid restrictions were eased many motorcycle event organisers have been cramming in what would be normally be a full season of championship rounds into a few short months.

Askam’s Darren Hudson, ably assisted by daughter Cloe and his team, have been flat out these last few weeks getting the National Acerbis Moto X championship under way, which caters for riders with modern machines.

They organised the first round on the Farleigh Castle track near Bath two weeks ago. No sooner had they got that one put to bed, they were busy organising the first round of the British Twin Shock Championship - which caters for older machines - at Hawkstone Park in Shropshire last weekend.

The few spectators who did attend (under Covid restrictions) were treated to some excellent racing with full grids.

Kirkby’s Paul Coward headed south again to Hawkstone to gain a well-earned fifth place in the Vets class on his Kawasaki.

Thankfully the weather was a lot kinder to competitors at Hawkstone and the lads didn’t have to race in the mud bath they had at Farleigh Castle.

Askam’s Gavin Southward rode at the Cumbria MX Clubs meeting at Haverigg on Saturday, foregoing Sunday’s racing for an overnight dash down to Hawkstone.

I can only assume he won the over 30C class event to clinch the club championship. At the time of going to press all the official results hadn’t been declared due to a malfunction in the electronic timing equipment.

Schoolboy Filey Pickering was again amongst the front runners in the 65cc races at Haverigg with two fine second places and a third.

The overnight dash hadn’t slowed Gavin up too much, because at the end of the day’s racing he finished seventh overall amongst a packed grid, just behind brother Ben who finished sixth.

Barrow’s Deejay Walker and Callum Bircher contested the modern class with mid-field placings too, despite Deejay’s machine suffering mechanical problems. Well done lads

Darren and his team are now preparing for the next Acerbis round at Culham Park in Oxfordshire this weekend.


At last a judge who accepts motorcycling!

Mr Justice Dove recently threw out a court case brought by a group of ramblers, horse riders, mountain bike riders, and walkers who were hoping to reinstate a court ruling that banned motorcycles from using bridleways and green lanes around the Coniston and Langdale areas that motorcyclists have traditionally had access to for years.

Justice Dove, after making his decision, pointed out there’s over 2,000 bridleways in the Lakes which are open to all groups, but only 75 which can be legally used by motorcyclists.

He also pointed out that the weather and mountain-bike usage eroded the trails just as much as motorcycles allegedly do.

The campaign to try and ban motorcycles gained over 374,000 signatories and cost the group £64,000 they`d raised by donations to bring it to court.


With the Isle of Man still Covid free, motorsport is continuing as normal on the island, but without any competitors or spectators from the UK.

Last weekend Manxman Mike Evans, who’s had some impressive results on the Southern 100 and TT courses on Barrow based Graham Wilcocks’ machines, added the Jurby circuit to his already impressive CV.

Using Graham’s 1000cc BMW he beat off a strong challenge from his friend and rival fellow Manxman Jamie Cringle in both the Superbike events to set a new lap record for the 1.7 mile Jurby circuit in the north of the island.

He blew away all his rivals in the two races he had on a 650 Kawasaki and two more he had on a 600 Yamaha too.

Great to see "Mikey " back on form after the spate of injuries he had last year.


The world-famous Bushy’s Beer tent and entertainment centre on Douglas promenade, which has been the traditional meeting point for Furness and visiting TT fans for years, is under threat.

Okell’s, the Manx brewery who ran the venue, were ousted from the site last year when the Manx government awarded the contract to rival brewers The Hooded Ram.

Okell’s moved the Bushy's venue to the Villa Marina grounds further along the prom.

The Hooded Ram recently announced they were to cease trading.

A spokesmen from Okell’s told me that although they would love to go back to their original site, it’s unlikely as its rumoured the council have earmarked it as a car park for the foreseeable future.

Although the Villa Marina site was successful in many ways, the setting-up costs were astronomical and they only just broke even. They have not yet decided their next move.