Furness has always had strong affinity with the TT and Manx Grand Prix and many local riders have had major successes there.

Alan Shepherd, Eddie Crooks, Frank Whiteway. Nigel Barton, Alistair Howarth,Mark Flynn, Dan Stewart and myself, to name just a few, have all mastered the famous winding roads.

I've discovered,at least 20 Furness riders have pitted their skills on the world famous course, not all achieving the results they wanted to, but like thousands of others just wanting to experience the exhilaration of racing on the TT Mountain circuit.

Barrow`s Bill Madderick rode in the MGP in 1946 and 1947 before moving up to the TT from 1948 until 1959,his best result coming when he finished eighth in the 1955 TT on a Moto Guzzi.

Walney`s Jack Fisher competed between1948 and 1954, with a best result of 11th in 1949.

Walney brothers Ted and Alec Whiteside raced there from 1957 until 1963. Alec did the MGP in 1961 and 1962 and Ted between 1957 and 1962, Ted finishing fifth in 1957.

Askam brothers Chris and Geoff Hadwin raced between 1979 and 1990, with Geoff taking a creditable fifth place in the 1989 MGP 250 Classic Lightweight.

Ulverston's John Lishman finished fifth in the 1965 Junior MGP and fellow Ulverstonian Brian Richards took fourth place in the 1968 Production TT.

Former Dalton Motorcycle dealer Mal Marsden raced in the MGP between 1978 and 1981 with a fourth place in1978.

Broughton's Gerry Babb rode in the MGP between 1966 and 1989 on a Honda, but used a Crooks Suzuki until 1974.

Barrow`s Ray McKenna contested the MGP newcomers race in 1981.

Martin Crooks rode from 1984 to 19933, including a sixth place finish in the1992 MGP Classic Lightweight.

Flookburgh's Steve Morris competed in the MGP between 1989 and 1994 and we can`t forget local engine guru Mike Bibby from Ulverston.

Mike raced in the MGP from 1999 to 2002, finishing ninth in the 1999 newcomers' race after a slick refuelling stop by one of the best crews in the pits (My wife D'reen and I).

Sadly, we've not had a 'local' representative on the Isle of Man in either of the last two years.

* Members of the Furness Vintage Japanese Club got their latest long-awaited 'tiddler run' underway last Sunday.

Several members had expressed a wish to go along but club coordinator Sam Scrogham had the unenviable task of restricting the group to just six as per the latest government guidelines.

The group took a leisurely route over Kirkby Moor via the Woodland fells to Coniston, where they had a break for a drink before returning via the same route.

They reported a pleasant day out in good company with some breathtaking views en route.

Members observed the two-metre ruling whilst on the road, but sadly encountered many cyclists who did not .

When restrictions are finally lifted, the club will meet on the last Thursday of every month at the Newton Hotel in Dalton.

Contact Sam Scrogham on 01229 468644 for details. New members are always welcome.

* The Route 44 Motocross Park at Haverigg reopened its gates last weekend.

The strict government ruling adopted by the MCF, who issue the track permit, did give some administration problems to the organisers but on the whole the practice weekend went well.

The Cumbria MX Club officials had again done a great job in preparing the track and the overnight showers on Friday and Saturday made conditions even better.

Numbers had to be restricted but it did give the opportunity for both adults and children to test their machines, which hopefully they'll be able to race later in the year.

Unfortunately, two riders took heavy falls.. Barrow`s Andy Craig sustained back and wrist injuries and schoolboy Finley Pickering took a fall too, both spending Sunday night in hospital.

I'm sure all motocross fans, myself included, wish them both a swift recovery.

* It's recently emerged that Captain Tom Moore - soon to be Sir Captain Tom Moore - who made world headlines by completing 100 laps of his garden in his Bedfordshire home just before his 100th birthday earlier this year to raise funds for the NHS, was a keen motorcyclist in his younger days.

Captain Moore raised an incredible £32 million with his efforts.

In his youth, he spent most weekends competing in scrambles events around the Keighley area, where he was brought up, on a Scott Flying Squirrel two stroke.

In later years, it fell into the hands of a local enthusiast who registered it for the road, and when he passed away the family donated it to the Bradford County Museum where it lives today.

It's only recently that the present curators realised its history.