A PATCHED-UP Hawcoat Park proved no match for a strong Cockermouth side, who ran in eight tries to down their hosts 48-17 in Cumbria Division One.

If anything, despite feeling depleted at the time, the Maroon and Whites travelled as a stronger team for the reverse fixture to the picturesque Strawberry How ground above Cockermouth in November last year, meaning they were always up against it.

The game could not have started any worse right from the kick off (and not for the last time during the game) Cockermouth ran the ball straight back, stretching the play with good handling for their strong running centre to finish off under the posts.

The home supporters were fearing a cricket score, but Hawcoat responded superbly to take a shock lead.

First, Adam Grainger reacted smartly to take a quick tap from a penalty and force his way over and then not long after, hardworking skipper Andy Kent scored as well

Although both tries were too wide out to convert in the windy conditions, Park found themselves 10-7 up midway through the first half.

As to be expected, however, Cockermouth cranked up their game with big strong running mobile forwards creating the space to free up young pacy three-quarters.

Full back Alex Brown did very well to pull off last ditch tackles and he was well supported by both Rodney Odondi and Keenan Cotton, but Cockermouth were to run in three tries, two of them converted, to go into half-time 26-10 ahead.

The second half followed a similar pattern to the end of the first half with the Wasps dominating the play but our lads sticking manfully to the task.

Having been moved to the back row, it was Lewis Sayle who deservedly collected Hawcoat’s only second half try by throwing a good dummy and slicing through from 40metres out to touch down near the posts

Cockermouth had added four tries of their own either side of Sayle's effort, playing an enjoyable to watch stylish rugby.

The afternoon didn't go much better for Furness just down the road at the Strawberry Grounds, where a similarly depleted team went down 47-5 against Upper Eden, who are now third in the table as a result.

Millom picked up their second win in a row, as they narrowly defeated south Cumbria rivals Windermere 22-17 at Wilson Park after having to dig deep during what was a closely-fought game.

The four points gained allowed Millom to leapfrog Furness in the table and move up to ninth.