Rodney Odondi’s two tries helped Hawcoat Park come out on top in their local derby against Windermere as they ran out 22-10 winners in Cumbria Division One.

The rain just about stayed away but a very strong wind had a spoiling effect on the game as the Maroon and Whites welcomed their old friends The Ambers from the South Lakes.

Both sides struggled to get used to the conditions in the early exchanges as handling was difficult and judging passing was not easy, leading to both sides making regular mistakes.

Windermere were a big powerful side and had some grunt up front as they tested out Hawcoat’s defence.The first quarter was neutral with neither side having many clear cut chances to get that first score on the board.

Midway through the half the hosts got the first try when the ball was quickly moved through the hands of George Smith and Will Coles, whose pass sent right winger Rodney Odondi powering in at the corner for an unconverted score.

Not long after, Odondi collected his second try, which was almost a repeat of his first, only this time it was scrum-half Jack Shannon who recycled the ball quickly for Lewis Sayle to come into the line and provide the flying winger the ball to finish well out wide.

Park turned around 10-0 ahead at half-time and they looked to extend that lead 15 minutes into the second half after both Alfie White and Lee Van Haren came close to scoring.

The ball was then moved well through hands and following good support play it was Sayle who managed to stretch over for the try, which Smith converted via the post.

Young prop Lewis Phillips had joined the play as a replacement and once again showed he is not out place at this level and looks a really good prospect, helping to take a ball against the head.

As always with a Windermere side, they never gave in and worked hard together as a collective unit and showing real determination to get back into the game.

Midway through the half, they scored a try their team play deserved when their centre showed good pace to slice through on a good angled run from 40 metres out to touch down.

At 17- 5, the next try was going to be important and following good work by John Donnan up front and Smith, it was the outstanding White who ran strongly to touch down out wide for Hawcoat’s bonus point try.

It was Windermere who had the last word when full back Ben Gibson showed good determination in running a direct line and forcing his way over.