South Lakes men picked up their first win of the season in Division Two North of the North West League as they defeated Formby 4th XI on their own patch last Saturday.

The Lakes had come close to opening their account in the ‘W’ column a couple of times already in the campaign, but this time there was no mistake as they took all three points thanks to a professional performance.

They got their reward through goals from Adam Fraser and Tom Clements, which both came from penalty corners, as they lifted themselves two places up to ninth in the table.

It will be a tough task to make it two wins in a row this weekend, however, as they’ll be welcoming league leaders Didsbury Northern 4th XI to Ulverston Leisure Centre.

South Lakes women’s match at University of Liverpool 2nd XI in Division Three North West of the North League was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

That was frustrating for Lakes, who were also looking for their first victory of the campaign against their fellow strugglers, but they’ll still fancy their chances at home to Lancaster and Morecambe on Saturday.

Windermere men 1st XI are finally off the mark in Division Two West of the North League, as two goals from Will Dolman earned them a 2-2 draw at fellow Cumbrian side Keswick.

Mere were determined to kick-start their season from the off and a Dolman short corner drag flick gave them a deserved opening goal.

Keswick levelled before half-time when an intercepted pass gave them an overload in the shooting circle and then worsening weather affected the quality of play and both sides had players sin-binned for untimely challenges.

Keswick eventually went ahead when Mere could not clear the ball during one hectic spell at their end, but the visitors still threatened on the break and when Jamie Hill found a Keswick foot in the D, another signature penalty corner Dolman drag-flick gave them a much-needed share of the points.

A youthful Windermere men’s 2nd XI went down to a 2-1 defeat against a more experienced Keswick 3rd XI in Division Four North North of the North West League.

Mere’s expansive first-half play failed to yield a goal and it was Keswick who took the lead right on half-time with a successful short corner strike.

Elliot Kirby equalised for Windermere from an acute angle and the game looked like be heading for a draw until Keswick conjured up a winner with just five minutes to go.