Emily Stirzaker's try proved decisive as Barrow Ladies reached the play-off final of the Women's Championship with a gripping 14-12 victory against Stanningley at Rating Lane last Sunday.

Their reward is a date with Warrington Wolves in Manchester on Saturday after they managed to see out some late pressure from their visitors in a match that went down to the wire.

Barrow had finished second in the regular season after recording six straight wins and they were able to name a strong side that were in confident mood for the match and this was reflected in how they opened.

They went ahead after 11 minutes, following a good carry down the middle by Jodie Morley, as captain Jodie Litherland moved the ball right for Stirzaker, who had enough of a gap to go through and score, with Litherland sending the conversion wide.

However, Stanningley hit back five minutes later when a strong attack down the right wing led to Maddie Walsh going in under the posts and she converted her own try to put the visitors 6-4 in front.

After a bizarre incident where some 'dog mess' had to be cleared from the pitch at the end Barrow were attacking, the hosts huffed and puffed for the rest of the half.

They missed a big chance just before the break when Michelle Larkin knocked on near to the Stanningley try line after a fine pass from Litherland.

Walsh missed the chance to extend Stanningley's lead with a penalty four minutes into the second half before a pass that would have put Barrow winger Sam Norman in at the corner drifted forward.

But the hosts were stepping up the pressure and it paid off on the hour, as Norman took the ball towards the posts before Litherland passed the ball left for Larkin to go over, with the conversion missed.

Five minutes later, the lead was extended following a tapped penalty, as the ball was recycled following a strong carry from Louise Clarke, as Larkin sent Stirzaker through for her second of the afternoon.

Stanningley weren't finished yet, as Walsh squeezed over for her second converted try, but Barrow held out in a frantic finish.