Last Saturday saw a break from league action for lots of our local teams, but Furness Cavaliers boosted their West Lancashire campaign with a 2-0 win at home to Galgate.

Goals from Callum Lamb and youngster Charlie Cooksey gave Cavs their third victory of the season in Division Two, with Jake Marston keeping their clean sheet intact with two last-ditch clearances.

The Furness Senior Cup began in earnest during the weekend and threw up some surprise results, including the elimination of holders Ulverston Rangers.

Ulverston, who defeated Walney Island on penalties to take the trophy last season, fell at the first hurdle to Croftlands Park, who ply their trade in the Furness Premier League.

James Pinnegor opened the scoring for Rangers in the second half but a Matt Dean equaliser saw the game go to penalties, after a 1-1 draw, that saw Croftlands come out on top 5-4.

Kirkby United, another FPL team, also beat higher league opposition on penalties in the way of Crooklands Casuals after a pulsating game finished 4-4.

Matty Bruce (2), Tom Wildgoose and Sean Gardner were on target for Kirkby, while Luke Armstrong (2) Tom Pavett and David Graves replied for Cassies, who lost out 4-2 in the shoot-out against the underdogs.

Hawcoat Park are through after a come-from-behind 3-2 win against Walney Island. Mike Wilkes put Hawcoat 1-0 up before Josh Gay equalised before half-time.

James Bailey edged Walney ahead against the run of play, but a strong finish from Hawcoat, with goals from Carl Pearson and Frankie Ellis, gave them safe passage to the next round.

Dalton United eased through after beating Vickerstown reserves 3-0 thanks to goals from Robbie McMurdo (2) and Gareth Jones.

In an all-FPL tie, Holker Old Boys reserves beat Barrow Celtic 3-2. Jono France grabbed both of Celtic’s efforts, but two goals from Jordan Brough and a Steve Forbes special sealed the win for the home side.

It was nothing like as close at Duddon Road, as Askam United hammered Barrow Wanderers 12-2 in a high-scoring affair.

Vickerstown bowed out of the Richardson Cup at the first hurdle after a 3-0 defeat at the hands of Lytham Town, for whom Ross Ainsworth scored twice to add to Ben Bradley's first-half opener.

Millom's home game against Lostock St Gerards in Division One of the West Lancashire League was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

In the only game to take place in the top flight of the Furness Premier League, Walney Island reserves beat bottom team Dalton United reserves 5-2 at Tummerhill.

Kane Moffett bagged a hat-trick and Jordan Hughes a brace for Walney, who lifted themselves away from trouble, while Rossa Miller and Dawson replied in vain for Dalton.