Barrow AFC 2 Eastleigh 0

This was much more like it. Barrow AFC needed to pick themselves up after a disappointing first week of the season and not only did they get a result against Eastleigh that lifted morale, but they also demonstrated they can put in the hard yards.

The second half at Wrexham and the 90 minutes against Harrogate saw the re-emergence of the soft side that led to last autumn's teething troubles, which culminated in a humbling home loss against the Spitfires.

Being defeated 3-0 on their own patch on that occasion prompted manager Ian Evatt to change formation and he returned to the 'back to basics' approach after AFC's midweek shocker against the Town, going with a back three.

Just as last November, doing so seemed to bring a better balance to the team, as the Bluebirds kept Eastleigh at arm's length for the most part, with them only creating one big opening - Scott Rendell's header - from open play.

What was most pleasing, though, was that Barrow showed they can adapt to conditions as horrible as what swept through Holker Street last Saturday.

The home fans are used to watching their team while the ground gets battered by a strong wind and driving rain, just probably not in August.

The weather meant this match was never going to be the prettiest, but AFC played the conditions smarter than their opponents, who never learned to stop hanging long balls in the air whilst playing against the wind that was blowing toward the Holker Street End.

There were still a couple of moments of quality in the first half, both from Brad Barry, that could have led to goals as the right wing-back fashioned chances for Dior Angus and John Rooney.

The first of those produced a good save from Eastleigh goalkeeper Max Stryjek, but this was not the start of an inspired performance from the Pole, who went on to endure an afternoon he'll want to forget quickly.

He looked nervy on crosses and his distribution wasn't the best and, unfortunately for the 22-year-old, he ended up being culpable for both the Bluebirds' goals.

That's not to say the hosts didn't deserve the opener when it arrived after 50 minutes. They ended the first half strongly and had begun the second in a similar manner.

Scott Quigley, who got better as the game wore on, sent in a low cross from the left that Rooney got the slightest of touches (a confession: none of us in the press box saw it) to and Stryjek allowed his effort to go through him.

While the score was at 1-0, there was a fear of history repeating itself when AFC, and Angus in particular, passed up several big chances to put the game to bed.

Hearts were certainly in mouths when Cavaghn Miley was found in isolation by Jack McKnight's corner. Thankfully, he headed wide of the near post.

Those who braved the elements to attend could finally rest easy in stoppage time, as Stryjek got caught in possession in unfamiliar territory by Quigley who, cool as you like, chipped into an empty net to open his Bluebirds account.

Points on the board at last and confidence back up before tomorrow's trip to Stockport.

Barrow AFC (3-4-3): Dixon, Hird, Granite, Brough, Barry, Rooney (Hardcastle 90+2), Taylor, Kay, Angus, Quigley, Harrison (Dyson 71).

Subs not used: Brown, Hindle, Greaves.

Eastleigh (3-5-2): Stryjek, Partington, Boyce, Johnson (Atkinson 78), Wynter, Green, Miley, Hollands (McKnight 67), Payne (Smart 78), Rendell, Williamson.

Subs not used: Flitney, Bearwish.

Referee: Tom Parsons

Attendance: 1,060

Bluebirds star man: Josh Kay