Despite a determined second half comeback, Barrow Island failed at home for the second successive home game as they lost out 25-18 to Hull Dockers at Rating Lane last Saturday.

Island were second best in the first half, as they went into the break trailing 15-6, but they fought back well in the second period only for a breakaway try to seal their fate.

The Dockers were too strong for the home side in the opening minutes with their bigger forwards leading the way, along with the hard-running full back Kyle Larvin.

Island applied the early pressure, with Rhys Bartlett being held short before Jake Stockdale pulled off a try saving tackle on Callum Daniels who tore downfield.

However, it was the visitors from Humberside who took the lead with a well-worked try from Joe Mcleod that was converted by Dan Suddary.

A surprise debut came in the form of Adam Nicholson from Walney and within a minute he was held inches from the line.

Stockdale was also brought down inches short before a neat Adam Jackson pass sent Matty Brown over in the corner for Sam Jones to convert and level the match at 6-6.

A fine try for the Dockers then followed, as Suddary fled down the wing before passing inside to brother Lewis to score - Dan adding the goal, 6-12.

Ian Irvine went close for the Island prior to Suddary kicking a penalty goal and to round off the first half scoring, the same player dropped a goal for 6-15.

Island had it all to do, but they went further behind two minutes into the second half when a great passing move across the field saw Steve Milne touchdown, with Suddary adding the goal.

The Dockers were comfortable but for all their attacking play in this half, Island's defence stood firm.

It was in attack the Island had to do the business and 15 minute into the half, good attacking play enabled Alister McEwan to crash over for Jones to convert and reduce the gap to 12-21.

This lifted the home side and they narrowed the gap even further after 63 minutes. Carl McBain stormed downfield on a 40-yard dash into Dockers territory, only for the cover to get back.

However, a quick play the ball saw Marwood slip the ball to Josh McBain to crash over. Jones added the goal and at 18-21 it was game on.

The Dockers, who at one stage looked well in control, were now under pressure but got out of jail with seven minutes remaining.

Island, through Stockdale cleared their line, edged to halfway when Stockdale's difficult pass to Jones went to ground allowing Ellis Jungar to pull away to go in from 50 yards out.

The result is a further blow for Island's play-off hopes in Division Two of the National Conference League, with the Dockers and Bradford Dudley Hill now level on points with them.