Barrow Raiders 21 Halifax 8

Barrow Raiders put in a magnificent performance to gain two valuable points in their quest to stay in the Betfred Championship next season.

It was a real tussle with both teams giving their all, but it was the home side who came out on top as they overcame a tough Halifax side who are in the semi-finals of the Challenge Cup.

Barrow deservedly went in at the break 10-4 to the good but Halifax came out firing on all cylinders after the break. They piled on the pressure going in for an unconverted try and in the minutes after the Raiders were under the cosh but they stood their ground with some outstanding defensive work.

From one to 17, Barrow battled as if their lives depended on it and they wore the opposition down winning the battle up front.

Teenager Jake Carter was making just his second start and he wasn't overawed, defending well in what was a battle for supremacy and his slick hands sent Deon Cross in for a vital try on 65 minutes.

Barrow took the game to Fax and after the Yorkshire side had a bad play the ball, the pressure mounted. Close to the visitors line, the double act of Jamie Dallimore and Jarrad Stack once again put points on the board, as the former's high kick to the corner enabled the latter to out jump the cover to dot the ball down.

Halifax then applied pressure, forcing two drop outs from under the posts, but they couldn't capitalise and when a poor kick through from Lalua Togagae went dead, the ball was back with Barrow.

A loose pass from Halifax set up a raid, with Jake Carter and Stack paving the way for Cross to go in in from close range, Dallimore adding a touchline goal for a 10-0 lead

Halifax came back strong and looked destined to score as Togagae sent Scott Grix into space only for Tee Ritson to pull off a try saving tackle.

A second break from Grix paid off, as he broke through but was impeded in the tackle from where Togagae and Tyrer combined for Robinson to cross with ease.

The second half saw a different Halifax as they gave the ball plenty of air and they went in for a neat try with Togagae prising open a gap for Grix to race in and reduce the gap to two points.

Barrow were then down to 12 men on 45 minutes, as Dallimore was sin-binned for fighting and though Halifax piled on the pressure, the home defence stood firm.

With the crowd roaring them on, Barrow edged into a six-point lead when swift play from left to right saw Jake Carter's sweet pass go into the arms of Cross, who touched down for his second.

It was nip and tuck before Barrow stretched their lead, as Dallimore put in a towering kick that Stargroth Amean plucked out of the air and on hand to crash over was Danny Morrow, Dallimore tagging on the goal for 20-8.

And when Morrow took play to the Halifax line on 71 minutes, the young head of Carter kept his cool to slot over a vital drop goal and the points were in the bag.

Barrow: Ritson, B Carter, Stack, Amean, Cross,Dallimore, J Carter, Johnson, Puara, Susino, Walne, Smith, Aspinwall.

Interchange: Spedding, Walker, Riley, Morrow.

Tries. Stack 7, Cross 23, 65, Morrow 71.

Goals Dallimore (2)

Drop goal: J Carter.

Halifax: Grix, Robinson, Tyrer, Woodburn-Hall, Saltonstall, Murrell, Togagae, Maher, Kaye, Fleming, Larroyer, Kavanagh, Fairbank.

Interchange: Moore,Tangata, Kirby, Morris.

Tries: Robisnon 35, Grix 43.

Referee: Gareth Hewer

Attendance 1,396.

Raiders star man: Jono Smith.