Cumbria Cricket League leaders Furness advanced into the semi-finals of the Higson Cup last Sunday after a comfortable nine-wicket victory against Millom.

This was a replay of the match that was rained off from the previous Monday and Millom, who had knocked out Cockermouth in the previous round, struggled after losing the toss and being put in to bat.

David Mackie top-scored with 26 as the hosts were bowled out for only 88, with Josh Shaw the pick of the Furness bowlers in taking 3-12, while captain Peter Lawson also impressed with 3-18.

More rain intervened during the interval, which reduced Furness’ target to a revised 84 from 41 overs.

They needed less than half of those, as opener Nathan Waterston made an unbeaten 34 to help the visitors over the line for the loss of only Wyll Stanway (24).

Furness will now face Cleator in the last four on July 14, with Keswick taking on Egremont in the other tie.

Barrow are into the third round of the Lancashire Cricket Foundation Knockout Cup after defeating Star Eleven by five wickets in a low-scoring contest at Ernest Pass, with overseas Dineth Thimodya playing a starring role.

It was the perfect way to bounce back for Barrow, who had been hammered by nine wickets in the Northern Premier League by Fulwood and Broughton the previous day after being skittled for 53.

This time they were batting second after winning the toss and their bowlers shone in bowling Star Eleven out for 103 in 24.5 overs.

Only three visiting batsmen - Asif Farooq (25), Niaz Khan (28) and tail ender Arsalan Majid (23) - reached double figures as Toby Mowat (3-14) and Gary Collins (3-20) did the damage for Barrow.

That the home side were chasing three figures in the first place was only down to Majid adding 33 for the final wicket alongside Khan.

Barrow wobbled early in their run chase, as they lost openers Mowat (4) and Ian Allington (2) cheaply before Thimodya was given a let-off as he was dropped on eight.

Giving him a reprieve proved to be very costly for Star Eleven, as Thimodya’s third-wicket partnership worth 53 with skipper Glenn Kermode put Barrow close to reaching their target.

The visitors claimed three quick wickets, starting with Kermode’s for 15 before Khan dismissed both Daryl Wearing (2) and Sam Henderson (8) to give themselves some late hope.

But Thimodya eventually steered his side to victory after 21 overs, as he finished unbeaten on 62 off 59 balls, which included nine fours.

Lindal Moor reached the North Lancashire and Cumbria regional final of the National Village Cup after defeating Burneside by four wickets at Pennington Lane.

The hosts had to recover from 40-5 to do so, but managed thanks to 49 not out from Craig Crawford.