Barrow Raiders have been given a fitness boost with the news that Papua New Guinea international Stargroth Amean will be available for selection next week, despite dislocating a shoulder in last Sunday's match against Rochdale Hornets.

It isn't clear yet whether Amean will be available for next Wednesday's 1895 Cup tie against Bradford Bulls, but it he will certainly be in the mix for the crucial Betfred Championship fixture at Widnes Vikings four days later.

It is a rare occurrence of luck being on the Raiders' side when it comes to injuries this season, with the 28-year-old thankfully recovering quickly from being forced out in the second half of the 54-10 victory against the Hornets at Craven Park.

By then, Amean had already scored a hat-trick to help Barrow on the way to a crushing victory that kept them in touch with the teams above them near the bottom of the table.

Head coach Paul Crarey said: "It was a dislocation, they got it back in before it came out again, although they got it back in again and he's great.

"He's a tough kid and he reckons he'll be OK for Bradford. The physios are saying maybe Widnes, but he's saying Bradford.

"He's probably get a three-quarter range now after a few days, which is unbelievable, really, so hopefully we can get him out there against Bradford.

"The two Papua New Guinean boys - Willie [Minoga] has been injured and gone home, though he's come back again - Stargroth and Wattsy [Wartovo Puara] have been tremendous these last few games. It took them time to settle, but now they have settled they're putting in some stellar performances."

The Raiders have managed to avoid having a second player suspended this week after forward Jono Smith was found not guilty by the RFL of a dangerous tackle on Sheffield Eagles' Matt James during the 30-18 Summer Bash defeat two weeks ago.

While Crarey will have to do without the services of Lewis Charnock for eight matches, he will be free to pick Smith, one of the most effective ball carriers in the Barrow squad.

Crarey said: "Jono was on a Grade D and there was absolutely nothing in that tackle.

"That was an accident and I'm glad the disciplinary panel have seen it and ruled that he's got no case to answer and he's got off with a no-game penalty.

"Jono has been outstanding this year - we missed him when he fractured his cheekbone. He came back after five weeks after a double fracture of his face, which is unbelievable, really.

"We were reluctant to put him in but he wanted to play and he overruled the physios and played while we were in a pickle - if some of the lads hadn't put their hands up this year, we wouldn't have put a side out."