In the quarter finals of the Marsden Cup, there was an absolute thriller at Hawcoat Park, where the hosts saw off Kirkby by one run in a rain-affected contest.

With the weather forcing the match to be reduced to 30 overs a side, Hawcoat couldn’t see their innings through, as they were bowled out for 138.

Middle order batsmen Adam Hunter and Callum Lucas did their best to hold things together, with 48 and 37, respectively, but only one other man (Dave Thompson) reached double figures for the hosts.

Brothers Mike and Rob Fugler both took three wickets for Kirkby, but they were kept in check in their chase, despite 34 from Matthew Bruce.

Thanks to 3-19 from Callum Muncaster, the visitors fell agonisingly shot of their target.

Lahiru Jayakody made his second century in two games, as Haverigg progressed to the semi-finals of the Sowerby Cup in spectacular fashion by demolishing Cockermouth 2nd XI by 176 runs at Poolside.

Fresh from piling on 300-6 against Hawcoat Park in the league the previous day, Haverigg produced another very good batting display after losing the early wicket of Dale Graham.

Skipper Drew Postlethwaite made 56 off 61 deliveries before Sri Lankan professional Lahiru Jayakody, bettered that by making 100, which included six fours and three sixes.

Good middle order support came from Glenn Chesher, who was unbeaten on 38, and Tomas Hawdon (33) to help the Poolsiders to 249-5 after their 45 overs.

The reply was a procession of Cockermouth wickets, as the visitors were skittled all out for just 73 after 32.2 overs, with opener Ian Buchanan top-scoring with 19 before being caught and bowled by Tyler French.

That was one of four wickets French took, as he ended up with superb figures of 4-23 off nine overs, with Jayakody continuing to play a starring role as he claimed 3-16.

The quarter finals of the Higson Cup were played on Monday, but Millom’s clash with Furness will have to be finished on Sunday after rain forced play to be abandoned with the hosts recovering on 66-4, after Furness captain Peter Lawson had taking 3-13.

Elsewhere, Keswick defeated Carlisle by six wickets as Will Atkinson’s 79 not out helped them chase down the visitors’ 165 all out with 29 balls to spare.

The ball dominated at Gilfoot Park, where Egremont just about overhauled Whitehaven’s paltry 52 to win by four wickets, while Cleator successfully reached a revised target of 123 from 23 overs in reply Workington’s 186-8 with six wickets in hand.