Sheffield Eagles 30

Barrow Raiders 18

Not even the seaside atmosphere, sand and smell of fish and chips could save Barrow from slipping to a tenth straight league defeat which leaves them a little further from safety after the annual Summer Bash in Blackpool.

The Raiders, still with just one victory and a draw to show for their efforts in 2019, witnessed fellow strugglers Swinton move clear of the relegation zone with their third victory of the campaign against bottom-of-the-table Rochdale on the same Bloomfield Road stage on Saturday, before being unable to tame top-five contenders Sheffield Eagles.

But, although the defeat plunges Paul Crarey’s side deeper into trouble, they more than matched their opponents for huge portions of a game which got away from them through a blitz of three Eagles’ tries in barely six minutes around the hour mark.

The Cumbrians, back on the scene of their 2017 iPro Sport Cup Final victory, twice led during a first half which promised a possible end to their league points drought.

Sheffield, beginning the weekend fourth in the table but on the back of successive defeats, were dealt double early blows when centre James Glover and skipper Matt James were both helped off with potentially serious leg injuries.

Barrow, wearing specially made for the occasion Papua New Guinean-style shirts and with Tom Walker making his 100th senior career appearance, went ahead after 13 minutes when Jarrad Stack rose serenely to catch and ground a perfectly placed Jamie Dallimore kick to the corner for his sixth try of the season, which Dallimore converted.

Sheffield, undeterred by being reduced to just two players on the substitutes bench, restored parity as Joel Farrell went over and Pat Walker added the goal.

Three minutes before the interval the Raiders went ahead again as, having been awarded a penalty just inside enemy territory, Dallimore opted to take the two points from fully 45 metres out to give his side a narrow 8-6 advantage.

Shortly after the start of the second half, quick handling between Lewis Charnock, the omnipresent Tee Ritson and Stack almost had Deon Cross over in the corner but the winger’s foot just brushed the whitewash causing the touch-judge to raise his flag and rule the try out.

Within two minutes, Sheffield took advantage as Farrell raced in for his second try at the other end.

In defence, a magnificent tackle from Ritson, with help from Jono Smith, held up Brad Tagg but it was to no avail as, seconds later, Ben Blackmore scored on the other flank.

Anthony Thackeray then added two more quick-fire tries for Eagles who, within the space of six minutes, were suddenly soaring away at 30-8.

Wartova Puara was denied a try for double movement but, after Thackeray was sin-binned for dissent and amid a couple of minor brawls, Ritson arced around into the corner and Smith claimed another consolation try on the same flank, to give a more reflective final scoreline.

Barrow Raiders: Ritson, Cross, Stack, Amean, Spedding, Dallimore, Charnock, Johnson, Susino, Walne, Smith, Aspinwall. (substitutes): Walker, Mossop, D Toal, Riley.

Tries: Stack 13, Ritson 75, Smith 78

Goals: Dallimore 3/4

Sheffield Eagles: Guzdek, Miller, Glover, Helliwell, Blackmore, Walker, Thackeray, Moran, Burns, Davies, Farrell, Brown. (Substitutes): Makelim, Mason, Esslemont, Tagg.

Tries: Farrell 25, 47, Blackmore 55, Thackeray 58, 61

Goals: Walker 5/5

Referee: Mike Mannifield

Raiders star man: Tee Ritson