Inspired by a top-class performance from Carl McBain, Barrow Island made it five wins from five in Division Two of the National Conference last Saturday.

On a sunny day at Rating Lane, Island ran out comprehensive 40-14 winners over Clock Face Miners

Island played fast open rugby to build up a 18-4 lead and were coasting before the St Helens side came back strong to within four points as they gave the ball plenty of air to put ten unanswered points on the board.

However, Island kept their cool and stepped up a gear to pull off a fine win over a team that must have two of the biggest prop forwards in the game, both Josh Comber and Brad Davies were giants.

Island were up and running on five minutes when, following a tap penalty, Blain Marwood headed for the line but when apprehended he slipped a neat ball to McBain who crashed over, Sam Jones tagged on the conversion, 6-0.

The Face, not to be outdone, came back strong on the back of a tap penalty and after mounting pressure a stab through saw Luke Forber touchdown for a disputed try, as he appeared to bounce the ball.

But their joy was short-lived, as Dan White made a telling break and over the whitewash was Jones who added the goal as well. There was no holding the Island, who increased their lead with a fine Marwood try on 21 minutes.

Peter Rimmer broke inside his own half before passing to McBain, who tore upfield before sending Marwood under the posts for Jones to convert, 18-4.

The Face had it all to do and they did respond when after swift play in at the corner was Davies and 18-8 turned into 18-14 minutes later.

Again, good hands across the field enabled Shaun Costello to cross, with Ian Webster adding the goal.

On the stroke of half-time, Island struck back when after Adam Jackson had broken through, the substitute chipped to the corner and on hand to score was Jones who added a towering kick to make the score 24-14 at the break.

The second half was barely two minutes old when Rhys Bartlett swept in at the corner.

Island were in total control as they applied pressure through White, who almost had Jones in at the corner but the winger put a foot in touch.

On 70 minutes, the home lead was increased when Marwood and Jackson linked and in support was full back Jake Stockdale to touch down, Jones adding the extra two points once more, 34-14.

And to round off a good day at the office, Ryan Clegg burst through and covered 40 yards to score, Jones completing the scoring with the kick.

Barrow Island remain third in the table, four points behind leaders Ince Rose Bridge, who they face in an intriguing fixture on Saturday. It’s fair to say, though, that they couldn’t be heading there in better form.