Maidenhead United 1 Barrow AFC 1

This was nothing to match the disastrous finish of last week, but it was still frustrating to see Barrow AFC lose another lead, as they were held to a draw at Maidenhead United.

After allowing a two-goal advantage wither away against Dover on a crisp spring afternoon at Holker Street, this Good Friday clash, which felt like it was being played at the height of summer, was a chance to right a few wrongs.

During the first half at York Road, it looked as though the Bluebirds were going to do just that, as they managed to keep Maidenhead at arm’s length after Jack Hindle’s opportunism had put them ahead.

Unfortunately, the second-half performance again proved to be a problem, as the Magpies put them under increasing pressure.

It eventually paid off and AFC had to reflect on another afternoon where they’ve dropped points against a team below them in the National League.

Those 90-minute performances have just eluded them this season, with the impressive victories at Solihull and Wrexham the closest they’ve come to finding one.

What they haven’t had a problem with is establishing themselves as the dominant side in games and, although they weren’t totally in control in the first 45 minutes, it still passed with little alarm.

Manager Ian Evatt’s predictions of what his side would be up against didn’t take long to ring true, as Maidenhead looked to get the ball forward as quickly as possible, which wasn’t a bad tactic on what was a poor pitch.

It’s a testament to how well the ground staff at Holker Street – and several others around the country - have done this season that the surface was far from what Barrow are used to.

It certainly made it difficult for their passing game to click into gear, but it did benefit them at one stage, as they went ahead after 19 minutes.

Jamie Philpot’s lay-off meant for Hindle was falling short, but Magpies defender Remy Clerima got himself into a mess in a sticky penalty area, which allowed Hindle to nip in and roll the ball in off the post. As it was his 12th goal of the season, it means he will finish as the Bluebirds’ top scorer in what is his first year at the club.

His strike was almost added to quickly, as Philpot was put through by Lewis Hardcastle, only for ‘keeper Carl Pentney to read his attempts to go around him and make a good save.

Joel Dixon had little to do in the first half, but he was kept busier after the break, with Maidenhead looking the stronger for much of the second half.

Barrow could certainly count their blessings when Harold Odametey’s half-volley was ruled out for offside because the loitering Josh Kelly was deemed to be interfering with play.

They didn’t heed their warning as Mike Fondop found a yawning amount of space between Kyle Jameson and Rhys Norrington-Davies and had all the time in the world to finish.

A repeat of last week’s denouement looked a real possibility at this point, but credit the Bluebirds for at least finishing strongly and Connor Brown had a good chance saved after 88 minutes.

However, this was another afternoon where they had given themselves a platform to claim more.

Maidenhead United (4-4-2): Pentney, Twumasi, Clerima, Massey, Gabriel, Nombe, Odametey, Comley, Worsfold (Clifton 45), Kelly (Akintunde 70), Fondop

Subs not used: Steer, Bird, Owusu

Barrow AFC (3-1-4-2): Dixon, Hird, Granite, Jameson, Taylor, Kay (Brown 78), Rooney, Hardcastle, Norrington-Davies, Philpot, Hindle (Angus 69)

Subs not used: Elsdon, Barthram, Molyneux