A SUPERB away performance saw Ian Evatt’s Barrow side pick up all three points on Saturday with a 1-0 win courtesy of a last-gasp Josh Kay strike.

The Bluebirds went into the game with just one defeat in their last twelve, though they had yet to record a win in 2019. Barrow boss Ian Evatt named an attacking starting 11 with a first start for Blackburn loanee Lewis Hardcastle.

It was the home side who had the first sight of goal with just a minute played, Craig Eastmond firing an effort towards Joel Dixon’s goal, but the Bluebirds stopped saved easily low down to his left.

With just under 10 minutes gone, the visitors had a golden opportunity to go ahead. A lofted ball over the Sutton back line found Kay who fired towards goal, but his shot from six-yards went agonisingly over.

As the clocked ticked past the half-hour mark Barrow had a good spell in which they had more chances to open the scoring after good work down both flanks.

However, they could not quite do so. John Rooney broke free from midfield and saw his shot deflected behind for a corner, from which the visitors had their best chance yet. A short-corner routine saw Rooney whip a cross in that was met by Dan Jones, the defender seeing his glancing header fly narrowly wide of Ross Worner’s post.

As half time approached the Bluebirds again had joy down the flanks with two more low balls across the box getting the slightest of touches from Sutton defenders to prevent them reaching Dior Angus and Jack Hindle.

The half time whistle went after a goalless first half, though the visitors will have felt like they should have been ahead after several fantastic chances to open the scoring.

Sutton may feel they should have been ahead five minutes into the half after Brett Williams worked a yard of space on the edge of the area and fired an effort just wide of Joel Dixon’s right hand post.

Controversy struck soon after when John Rooney went down off the ball, the referee awarding Barrow a free kick but not deciding to brandish any card to the Sutton player.

On 66 minutes, the Bluebirds had their best chance yet. Angus once again broke through Sutton’s back line and cut the ball back across goal, his cross taking a deflection right into the path of Hardcastle whose header crashed against the crossbar before being hooked away by a Sutton defender.

Barrow were really pressing the home point at this point and Hindle forced Worner into a good low save with his feet.

The home side were still a threat with the scores level and they had a good chance with 15 minutes to go, a Dobson free kick was met by Collins but he headed just wide.

The Bluebirds then had two penalty shouts turned down, infuriating the visiting players, management and supporters alike. First, Jason Taylor seemed to be brought down as he attempted to get on the end of a Barthram cross, the referee waving play on. If there was any doubt about the first appeal, the second seemed to be a stonewall penalty. Lewis Hardcastle burst into the area and was tripped by a Sutton defender, only for the referee to give the home side a free kick and show a yellow card to the Bluebirds midfielder.

As four minutes of added time was announced, the Bluebirds finally broke the deadlock. Kay received possession on the edge of the area and drilled in a low shot which took a deflection off a Sutton defender, wrong-footing Worner and nestling in the far corner, sparking wild celebrations.

The visitors saw out the final few minutes of stoppage time with ease, while under-21 graduate Christian Sloan replaced Lewis Hardcastle to mark his Barrow first-team debut.