The regular season of Cumbria Division One ended with a crash for Hawcoat Park last Saturday, as they were hammered 62-0 by Wigton.

The division now splits into two for the remainder of the campaign, and the Maroon and Whites already knew they would be competing against other sides who finished in the bottom four after last week’s defeat at Upper Eden.

Wigton, however, had a top-four place to seal and they made light of the wet conditions and took advantage of Park’s late arrival, after they were caught in traffic.

The hosts opened the scoring after ten minutes when the ball was moved out wide for centre Lewis Plackett to go over before Greg Wrathall struck after Hawcoat were driven off their own ball.

The stream of scores then turned into a flood before half-time as John Wright, Richard Moffatt, Wrathall and Elliott Armstrong all crossed the whitewash to make the score 36-0 at the break.

With the wind now at their backs, Wigton struck again when Armstrong powered over for his second try before full back Josh Leeson was sent clear by Moffatt to get in on the act.

Wrathall, playing from No.8, then completed his hat-trick as an attacking scrum was driven over, while the man who began the rout, Plackett, rounded it all off after being set up by Armstrong.

With the light fading, the referee decided the visitors had taken enough punishment and took the players off early.

In total, the Maroon and Whites had conceded ten tries and they finish seventh in the regular table.

Hawcoat Park A suffered a second successive defeat, as they lost out 25-5 away to Blackburn 3rd XV.

In Cumbria Division Two, Windermere produced arguably their best performance of the season as they swept aside fourth-placed Carlisle Crusaders 41-8 at Dawes Meadow, with captain Jonathan Benson scoring two tries.

Their other scores came from Phil Murphy, Dan Harrison, Neil Piggott and Glen Meschino, while Bertie Hodgson kicked 11 points.

Furness didn’t trouble the scorers, as they went down to a 17-0 defeat at second-placed Workington, who scored three tries, but it was a successful afternoon on home soil for Millom, who edged past Creighton 26-21.