Storm Deirdre wreaked havoc with the weekend’s local football fixtures as only three games made it through to the final whistle with differing fortunes.

Crooklands Casuals made the trip to Eagley in West Lancashire League Division One and came home with three points after an excellent 4-1 win.

Steve Caskie and Rikki Gallagher put Cassies 2-0 up before Eagley halved the deficit before half time.

A strong finish to the game by the visitors saw Dave Mansergh get on the scoresheet and Gallagher grab his second of the match.

Walney Island visited league leaders Horwich St Marys in Division Two and, in horrendous conditions, played out a match which had pretty much everything.

Walney started the game in a manner which mirrored the weather and were 4-0 down after half an hour.

However, Kieran Solloway and Matt Lockley scored two quick goals before half time and the Islanders looked right back in the game.

The match turned again when Josh Gay was sent off for a second yellow card offence and, given the conditions, it was a very harsh call. Horwich scored from the resulting free kick and Walney went in 5-2 down and looking like damage limitation.

After some stern words at half time, Walney set about Horwich for the second half and their bright start was rewarded when Solloway scored early on, with Walney in the ascendancy.

But it was not to be for the visitors as Steve Brennan then missed a penalty and James Bailey had two great chances to score which were not taken. It was a better second half, but the self-inflicted damage was already done.

Elsewhere in Division Two, Dalton United drew 2-2 with next to bottom side Galgate. Gareth Jones scored both goals for the visitors.

Askam United tried to play their game at home to CMB but the referee called a halt to proceedings in the first half due to the weather.

That was the story for all of the Furness Premier League games which made kick-off too, with one or two having been postponed on Friday evening or early on Saturday.

Fair play to the teams and the referees for trying to get the games played, but it was in vain as the weather came in and made playing conditions impossible.

Holker Old Boys had an enforced day off too as their North West Counties League First Division North match at Ashton Town was postponed due to a frozen pitch.

The last round of West Lancs fixtures of the year is this weekend, with matches resuming on January 5.

Next year looks promising for a number of the area’s sides in the West Lancs League and Holker looking like they have turned a corner.

The Furness Premier League looks like it could be heading to a close-run finish too.