Callum Loughran’s late try salvaged a 15-15 draw for Millom against fellow strugglers Creighton in Cumbria Division Two last Saturday.

Millom were actually 15-5 behind with 12 minutes to go after Joe O’Donnell’s hat-trick looked destined to give the hosts their second win of the season and send the visitors second-from-bottom.

Having got off the mark themselves at Wigton Wanderers last week, Millom fell behind after just four minutes through O’Donnell’s first try, but Adam Redhead levelled matters right on half-time.

O’Donnell then struck twice in the first 10 minutes of the second half to complete his treble, only for Ian Cummings to give the Blues renewed hope before Loughran came to their rescue with just three minutes left on the clock.

In the same division, Windermere were unable to make it three wins in a row, as they went down to a 23-12 home defeat against Workington, who opened up a five-point gap between the two teams in the table.

Windermere flew out of the traps and led 12-0 after ten minutes, as Neil Piggott’s opener was followed by Bertie Hodgson going in under the posts, with him converting his own try.

But Workington fought back as the conditions worsened and eventually ran out winners thanks to tries from Scott Campbell (2), Grant Reid and Andrew Bowe, with their fly-half also thumping over a penalty from halfway.

The two packs were well matched physically, but Windermere just couldn’t force their visitors over the line in the second half, despite twice coming close through driving mauls.

There is a south Cumbria derby this Saturday when Windermere travel to Wilson Park to face Millom. Windermere’s women’s side – the Warriors - are also in action as they welcome Leyland Warriors to Dawes Meadow on Sunday.

It was a comfortable afternoon for Hawcoat Park A, as they swept aside Blackburn’s 3rd XV 59-8 to move up to sixth in Division Four North of the North West Intermediate League.

Scott Garnett’s try opened the scoring with just two minutes played and further scores from Euan James and Jack Lord soon extended their lead.

Jay Crowe then sealed the try-bonus point before Lord claimed his second to take the score to 35-0, with Blackburn pulling back a penalty before half-time.

Connor McDermott’s individual try quickly resumed normal service in the second half, with Peter Jennens, Joe Dalton and John Hutton all scoring, sandwiching a consolation for the visitors, before the referee bizarrely ended the match ten minutes early.