A BUMPER crowd of 1,520 saw Barrow produce a dominant performance as they claimed a 2-0 victory over Maidenhead United at Holker Street.

AFC boss Ian Evatt made just one change from the draw at Boreham Wood. Club captain Josh Granite picked up a toe injury in training on Friday, meaning Kyle Jameson stepped up to start in central defence alongside Dan Jones.

The Bluebirds started brightly and had two chances in the opening exchanges. After Luke Burgess saw his effort held by keeper Carl Pentney, the shot stopper did well to hold an effort from Jason Taylor as the home side looked for the opening goal.

Barrow were pressing high up the pitch, but Maidenhead had their first real chance after 12 minutes.

That came on a counter-attack after some promising attacking play from the hosts had broken down, although home central defender Jones was alert enough to head the ball behind and then pressure Remy Clerima into heading over from the resulting corner.

The Bluebirds continued to dominate after that slight scare and Pentney was again called into action on 18 minutes, Burgess having a shot from a free kick saved.

Half-chances for Kay and Rooney followed, before Barrow finally got the goal their play deserved. A well-worked move saw Kay and Burgess link up, the latter showing fantastic skill to leave his marker stranded, before squaring the ball to Rooney who had the simplest of finishes.

Goal-scorer Rooney then struck the bar with a free kick from a tight angle. At the other end, Adrian Clifton fired over before the break, but the Bluebirds held a deserved lead at half time.

The visitors then had a 15-minute spell at the start of the second half which required the Bluebirds defence to be at their best.

Ryan Upward had their best chance during this period when he found himself in space at the far post, but only a terrific low stop by AFC goalkeeper Andy Firth denied him an equaliser.

Barrow had weathered the Maidenhead storm and doubled their lead after 74 minutes.

Rhys Norrington-Davies, making his home debut, showed fantastic pace as he made his way towards the visitors area and slipped the ball through for Tyler Smith, who poked the ball past Pentney.

As Maidenhead looked for a foothold back in the game Ryan Bird replaced Upward, and they had two chances to pull one back as Barrow stopper Firth first saved a Christian Smith free-kick, before he was at full stretch to save from Josh Kelly.

The Bluebirds made their remaining two substitutions as they saw the game out, Jacob Blyth replacing Josh Kay, before Jack Barthram replaced Dan Jones.

Two further yellow cards then followed when Harold Odametey and Jason Taylor were booked after tempers flared.

Four minutes of added time were played at the end of the game, before the final whistle went to signal the end of a convincing performance from Barrow, finally earning the Bluebirds the victory their recent performances have deserved.

Barrow AFC: Firth, Brown, Norrington-Davies, Jones (Barthram, 86), Jameson, Taylor, Rooney, Holden (Hindle, 69), Burgess, Smith, Kay (Blyth, 80).

Subs not used: Molyneux, Jennings.

Maidenhead United: Pentney, Clerima, Steer (Smith, 34), Odametey, Comley, Kelly, Worsfold, Cole (Owusu, 46), Clifton, Upward (Bird, 76), Massey.

Subs not used: Akintunde, Archer.

Bookings: Barrow AFC – Jason Taylor – (85); Maidenhead United – Nana Owusu (50), Harold Odametey (85).

Attendance: 1,520.

Referee: Martin Woods.

AFC star man: Connor Brown.