THE Postlethwaite brothers came to the fore as Haverigg won their derby clash with Millom, but it was not enough to avoid being relegated from the North Lancashire & Cumbria Cricket League Premier Division.

The ground staff at Poolside defied the wet weather to make the pitch playable, although the contest was reduced to a total of 76 overs.

Skipper Drew Postlethwaite opted to bat first and he led the way for the hosts with 88, with fellow opener Dale Graham adding 62 in Haverigg’s total of 197 for 7. Millom’s Graham Dawson took 4 for 44.

Millom got off to a good start in their reply as Danny Fallows made 66, but Jordan Postlethwaite then got stuck into the batting order and returned impressive figures of 7 for 60.

The spinner was the chief architect of the visitors’ downfall as they were bowled out for 167, with the last six batsmen making just 13 between them.

But the 30-run win was not enough to keep the fight against relegation going until the final week of the season.

That was despite Lindal Moor’s seven-wicket defeat away to Keswick in which the away side were bowled out for 76 after be invited to bat first.

Paul Clarke was Lindal’s only significant scorer with 20 and although Keswick were 16 for 2 early in the reply, an unbeaten 39 from professional Geeth Kumara saw them over the line.

Furness suffered a rare defeat too, going down by 23 runs at home to strugglers Whitehaven in a game reduced to 60 overs.

The visitors made 143 for 6 after batting first and Furness were bowled out for just 120 in reply.

Dalton’s game at home to Carlisle was rained off, while Cockermouth were crowned champions for the first time since 2012 after a 129-run win at home to Wigton.

Second-placed Cleator were six-wicket victors away to Workington, chasing down the target after bowling the home side out for 128.

The only game of the day in Division One which went ahead saw Kirkby suffer a five-wicket defeat away to Seascale.

Kirkby, in first, did not have a good day with the bat as just three players got into the 20s and they were all out for 103. Seascale’s Steve Brown Jnr took 5 for 25 and he was backed up by Andrew Knott taking 3 for 26.

Seascale’s reply was dominated by Adam Brown, who blasted 73 off 42 balls with five fours and seven sixes to see his side win in the 24th over with 106 for 5.

The rest of the final day’s Division One and Division Two games were rained off, as was Barrow’s last Northern Premier League Division One game of the season away to St Anne’s.