BARROW AFC were condemned to a 1-0 defeat at home to Dagenham & Redbridge as Elliot Romain’s late goal earned the visitors their first away win of the season.

The opening 11 minutes of the game were very quiet, with neither side finding a rhythm in their play.

But out of the blue a long range shot by Dagenham’s Tomi Adeloye from around 25 yards out whistled over Andy Firth’s crossbar.

It took the Bluebirds until the 20th minute mark to have an effort on target, as Hindle cut inside from the right wing and curled an effort towards the far bottom corner, which Justham tipped around the post for a corner.

In the 23rd minute the visitors were denied by Josh Granite as he headed an effort from Tomi Adeloye off the line.

Dagenham looked the more dangerous of the two sides, as it was Adeloye again who forced Firth into a good save, low to his right

But AFC could have taken the lead in the 40th minute, as a mishit kick by Dagenham goalkeeper Elliot Justham put Burgess in one on one, only for Justham to atone for his error and make the save from the Wigan Atheltic loanee.

The Bluebirds started the second half much sharper than the first, as Josh Kay drove through the heart of the visitor’s midfield, before fizzing a shot at Justham’s goal, which was too hot for the Daggers goalkeeper to handle.

In the opening phases of the second half, Luke Burgess was impressing and having a big influence in the game, the 19-year-old teed up Hindle in a channel between the Luke Penney and Liam Gordon.

But, unfortunately, the former Colwyn Bay winger’s effort towards the near post flew just over the crossbar and out for a goal kick.

Tyler Smith had two opportunities in the space of two minutes, as in the 62nd minute the Sheffield United man held off his marker Ben Goodcliffe before drilling an effort towards the bottom left-hand corner, which Justham tipped around the post.

Smith was then put in on goal down the right-hand side just moments later and dragged his shot just wide of the far post.

With around 25 minutes to go, AFC were denied again by Justham, as Luke Burgess chipped a ball over the top of the Dagenham defence, through to Kay who was in on goal, but his effort wasn’t in either corner and Justham pulled off yet another big save for the National League strugglers to keep the score level.

Dagenham nearly took the lead with 11 minutes to go when substitute Cheike Kandi cut inside of Dan Jones on the right wing and curled an effort towards the top left-hand corner which clipped Firth’s crossbar.

It was the visitors who did take the lead, as in the 89th minute Romain received the ball on the edge of the penalty area and drilled the ball into the top left-hand corner, giving Firth no chance in the Barrow goal.

This defeat will bitterly disappoint the Holker Street faithful, as it was a smash and grab display by Dagenham, but it was a vital win for Peter Taylor’s men, who grabbed their first away win of the season.

Barrow (4-2-3-1): Andy Firth, Connor Brown, Josh Granite, Dan Jones, Lee Molyneux, Jason Taylor, John Rooney, Jack Hindle (Jacob Blyth, 78), Luke Burgess, Josh Kay, Tyler Smith.

Subs not used: Barrow: Joel Dixon, Jack Barthram, Kyle Jameson, Steve Jennings.

Dagenham and Redbridge (4-4-2): Elliot Justham, Gavin Hoyte, Ben Goodcliffe (Harry Phipps, 67), Luke Pennel, Liam Gordon Ollie Harfield, Matt Robinson (C) Will Wright, Harry Donovan (Lamar Reynolds, 63), Tomi Adeloye (Cheike Kandi, 53), Elliot Romain.

Subs not used: Lewis Moore, James Blanchfield.

Attendance: 1,171

Referee: Marc Edwards.