BARROW Raiders were thwarted in their efforts to make it two wins from two at the start of the Betfred Championship Shield Super Eights as they were shut out in a 38-0 defeat away to full-time Leigh Centurions this afternoon.

It had been a promising start to the contest for Barrow, but they were unable to make the most of that and the home side being temporarily reduced to 12 men following a yellow card for Will Dagger inside the first 10 minutes.

The Centurions then accelerated away to lead by 26 points at half time and while the second half proved a much more subdued affair, the Raiders were unable to unlock a stubborn home defence and now look to the visit of Batley Bulldogs in two weeks.

After being under pressure on Leigh’s opening set, there were some encouraging signs for Barrow as they too were able to turn the screw – particularly after Alec Susino intercepted a pass on the home side’s 40 metre line to set up a promising attack.

The Australian prop was then held up over the line and when Centurions full-back Dagger was sin-binned after just seven minutes for a dangerous tackle on Georgy Gambaro, who had done well to defuse a dangerous chip-kick from Jack Owens, it gave the Raiders a temporary numerical advantage.

They were unable to make the most of that though and it was during this period Leigh took the lead, swiftly turning defence into attack when Jordan Dezaria picked up from a kick a sprinted clear and then setting up a move from a penalty which led to Kevin Larroyer going over on 10 minutes for a try converted by Ben Reynolds.

Restored to their full complement, Leigh were in again 10 minutes later after Brett Carter was unable to deal with a kick to the right corner which experienced Centurions skipper Micky Higham batted back from the touchline for Ricky Bailey to score an unconverted try.

Almost straight from the restart, the hosts had their third as they got a roll on and Higham set up Urswick native Greg Richards to crash over from close range, which Reynolds again converted, and then Hutchinson broke from deep in his own half following scrum to set up Owens for a try on 27 minutes.

Barrow were still creating opportunities though, with Mendy Saidty being held up over the line and Jono Smith having a try ruled out for a forward pass. At the other end, Ryan Johnston did well to produce a try-saving tackle to stop Reynolds going over.

But just before the hooter sounded for half time, Leigh added to their tally when Matty Dawson-Jones finished off a lightning attack which was allowed to proceed despite the suspicion of a knock-on in back-play, which Reynolds duly converted.

The second half was just five minutes old when two consecutive penalties against Barrow saw the Centurions make big territorial gains which concluded with Reynolds sending Jordan Walne over for a try which the stand-off converted.

From there though, the match petered out as both sides began to cancel each other out – with Arnaud Bartes becoming the third Raiders player to be held up over the line.

But a penalty in the final minute 10 metres from Barrow’s try-line led to Leigh stretching their advantage out to 38 points, with Reynold capping being named the home side’s man of the the match with a try and conversion as the hooter sounded.

Leigh Centurions: Will Dagger; Ricky Bailey, Rhys Evans, Matty Dawson-Jones, Jack Owens; Ben Reynolds, Drew Hutchinson; Greg Richards, Micky Higham, Nathan Mason, Kevin Larroyer, Jordan Walne, Jordan Dezaria. Interchange: Nick Gregson, Jack Blagbrough, Josh Johnson, Mitch Cox.

Barrow Raiders: Ryan Fieldhouse; Georgy Gambaro, Ryan Burroughs, Tom Loxam, Brett Carter; Jamie Dallimore, Ryan Johnston; Alec Susino, Dean Parata, Arnaud Bartes, Jono Smith, Bradd Crellin, Martin Aspinwall. Interchange: Nathan Mossop, Mendy Saidty, Dan Toal, Glenn Riley.

Referee: Tom Grant.