CORY Aston ran in two tries and kicked four conversions to help condemn Barrow Raiders to a 28-10 defeat in this afternoon’s Betfred Championship match away to Sheffield Eagles.

The Raiders trailed 10-4 after a close-fought first half, but once again found their resources stretched as injuries to both Glenn Riley and Ryan Fieldhouse reduced their options off the interchange bench after the break.

Sheffield, and Aston in particular, were ruthless in punishing Barrow for any errors they made as well, going on to take victory by 18 points and move above Paul Crarey’s side in the standings heading into the final round of regular season games next weekend.

Both teams spent much of the opening 10 minutes feeling each other out, with Barrow having slightly the better of the territory.

However, when Cory Aston was deemed to be taken out by Dan Toal while chasing his own kick 20 metres out, it saw the Eagles awarded a penalty and they took advantage when former Raiders player Matty James jinked back inside and through a gap for a try which Aston converted.

It was a similar story after this and the Raiders were unfortunately not to get on the score sheet themselves after forcing a drop-out, with Alec Susino being held up under the posts after being put through by Nathan Mossop.

But little more than a minute later, Sheffield were in again when another penalty – this time for interference at the play-the-ball – allowed the home side to put in motion an attack where they worked an overload out on the right wing for Ben Blackmore to score an unconverted try.

The Eagles were able to thwart Barrow in attack several times as well, and when both Glenn Riley and Ryan Duffy were stopped short of the line in quick succession it began to look at if it was going to be one of those days.

The pressure eventually told three minutes before half time though when Ryan Johnston put in a grubber kick which turned the Sheffield defence and Raiders winger Brett Carter sprinted in to dot down for an unconverted try.

That saw the away side trail by just six points at the break, but they got off to the worst possible start when play resumed as Barrow lost possession and stand-off Aston pounced on the loose ball, followed by him racing away to score and convert his own try.

Barrow were able to pull back to within a converted score again on 56 minutes when Nathan Mossop went over and Dallimore kicked the extras.

But a knock-on in Sheffield territory by Carter saw the Eagles counter quickly and the attack was finished by Aston, who sold the Barrow defence a dummy before sprinting clear from 20 metres to score and convert his own try.

The Raiders kept pushing and had a try by Scotland international Carter ruled out for obstruction as the match headed into the final 10 minutes, with Menzie Yere putting the seal on the win by scoring a converted try on the last play of the game.

Sheffield Eagles: Matty Costello; Iliess Macani, Menzie Yere, Josh Toole, Ben Blackmore; Cory Aston, Corey Makelim; Mark Offerdahl, Matty Fozard, Shaun Pick, James Bentley, Matty James, Paddy Burns. Interchange: Greg Burns, Max Garcia, Mike Weldon, Jon Magrin.

Barrow Raiders: Ryan Fieldhouse; Georgy Gambaro, Ryan Burroughs, Tom Loxam, Brett Carter; Jamie Dallimore, Ryan Johnston; Joe Bullock, Nathan Mossop, Arnaud Barthes, Matty Holmes, Dan Toal, Alec Susino. Interchange: Dean Parata, Ryan Duffy, Glenn Riley, Jonny Pownall.

Referee: Nick Bennett.