A MOTHER who died after falling down a flight of stairs in a Cumbrian pub had been warned by her teenage son to be careful, an inquest heard.

Elaine Cheryl Macintyre, 52, from Huyton in Merseyside, sustained a traumatic brain injury in the accident which happened while she and her 14-year-old son were staying at the Derby Arms in Witherslack.

A statement read out at the inquest by assistant coroner Robert Chapman, from Ms Macintyre’s son, said the pair had been out for dinner on the night of February 17.

He said: "We went up to our room to get changed to go back down to watch T-bone perform.

"Mum had been drinking gin. She was drunk and stumbling around the room."

The inquest heard the son told his mum that she was "too drunk to go out" and took off his shoes, before being made to put them back on.

He said: "I told her to be careful on the stairs as they were very steep and about half way down she stumbled and twisted in the air."

Paul Stokes, who had been drinking at the bar, rushed to Ms Macintyre’s aid after hearing a "loud rumble" and finding her at the foot of the stairs.

The inquest heard that Mr Stokes, who has first aid experience, told the duty manager to get an ambulance.

He was joined by nurse Lindsey Balfour-Brown who had been dining at the pub with her husband Stephen. Ms Macintyre's was unconscious and her breathing was "very laboured" as Mrs Balfour-Brown and Mr Stokes moved her to open up her airwaves.

Ms Macintyre was taken to the Royal Preston Hospital with extensive "unsurvivable" injuries to her brain and died the following day.

South Lakeland District Council environmental health officers visited the pub and found that the stairs were in "good condition", had a handrail, were well lit and there were no health and safety breaches.

Mr Chapman, who recorded a verdict of an accidental death, described Ms Macintyre’s fall as a "dreadful, dreadful accident", saying: "The staircase was built a long time ago before we have got the current regulations on steepness so it’s difficult to comment on the staircase other than it appears to comply with health and safety regulations.