WITH the news that the Dalton library building, that has been a staple of the town for over 110 years, is set to close, we take a look back at some of the interesting facts over its time.

In a meeting of the then Dalton-in-Furness Urban District Council in May 1903, councillors approved the building of the library at an estimated cost of £2,800.

In 1904, rules in place at the library's lending department included the cost of a borrowers card for books, at just one pence.

Furthermore, at the time books were not permitted to be borrowed by anyone employed or residing in an area where infectious disease was reported or suspected.

The patron of the library at the time of its opening was 20th century billionaire Andrew Carnegie.

Historic England note that the building first became a Grade II listed building in December 1993.

In February 1995, the library was ransacked after thieves had thrown a boulder through the back door, making off with £50 and causing considerable damage to the library interior.

In October 2005, the Evening Mail reported on Dalton Learning Centre, which was officially opened by the then mayor of Barrow, Councillor Michelle Roberts.