A HOSPITAL trust has been recommended to make changes following the death of the former manager of DW Fitness in Barrow.

Kelsie Brownlie was concerned over the future of her job following the gym chain going into administration last year - according to her family - and died shortly after on August 9, 2020, at the age of 39 at her home on Hazel Close.

The Coroner’s Court in Cockermouth was told Miss Brownlie had fallen into a bad crowd after school and got involved in drugs but had turned her life around after prison when she became a fitness instructor near Stoke-on-Trent.

“She had started a new job and she was doing really well,” her sister Joanie Kyte said in a statement.

“Later she moved back to Barrow and worked at DW Fitness.

“During lockdown when the gym was closed she decided to start an outdoor fitness class for people to join up.

“She enjoyed going out with her friends and partying.”

Her other sister Leanne Brownlie spoke of how she began to struggle after concern over her job future which led to her having insomnia.

She said her sister went out with her friends the night before she died until around 4am. After not hearing from her all day, Miss Brownlie went to check on her sister and found at her flat unresponsive. Paramedics were called but she was later pronounced dead at the scene.

A toxicology report noted a number of drugs had been found in her blood at the time of death, which were all over the counter and prescribed medications at around the therapeutic level, as well as a high amount of alcohol.

The pathologist gave the cause of death as combined toxic effect of alcohol, Zopiclone and Mirtazapine.

Miss Brownlie had been receiving treatment from the Lancashire and South Cumbria NHS Foundation Trust and Psychiatry UK for ADHD, for which she was given a diagnosis for in 2019 and had a suspected emotionally unstable personality disorder (EUPD).

Gemma Richardson, service manager for LSCFT, conducted the investigation into Miss Brownlie’s death for the trust.

She said the system of submitting information for the trust could be better but the inquest heard improvements were already in motion.

She recommended procedures were put in place to improve documenting discussions over peoples' care and communication between staff and other health providers.

Highlighting a case for the latter of the recommendations, Ms Richardson explained there had been a time when Miss Brownlie spoke of a treatment put in place for her by Psychiatry UK which was unknown to the care coordinator for the LSCFT.

Ms Richardson explained that a “joined up approach would be best practice”.

Rachel Horrobin, director of operations for the trust, said they would put in place the recommendations as soon as possible but admitted some will take longer than others to make sure new procedures are put in place.

The inquest continues on Wednesday.