A MAN who sparked a dramatic 12-hour stand-off at his home has told a judge: “I’m really sorry. I was very drunk.”‬

‪Armed police responded and a street was cordoned off as officers dealt with a lengthy incident involving 36-year-old Remus Cutea on November 30.‬

‪Cutea had wept in the dock during an initial hearing in front of magistrates after the drama ended.‬

‪And, when he appeared at Carlisle Crown Court ‬he admitted four offences.

Two of these, sending a series of electronic communications with intent to cause distress and anxiety, and an assault, arose out of incidents in the days leading up to the siege.

He also pleaded guilty to affray and possessing a prohibited weapon on November 30.

That illegal item was said to be a stun gun disguised as a torch, although Cutea, of Claife Avenue, Windermere, told the court as he appeared over a video link from custody: “I found it on the street.

"It was not working.

"It is a flash light.”

Apologetic throughout the hearing, Cutea said of his offending: “I am really sorry. I was very drunk.”

At the time of the stand-off on the Droomer estate, residents had reacted with shock.

“The police just turned up one after another, after another, after another,” said one eyewitness.

“They had the shields out.

"They had the guns out.”

The resident continued: “This is Windermere. This is the Lake District. It’s classified as a low risk area but these things happen whether you’re in a low risk or a high risk area.

And, having lived in Windermere all his life, he commented that he had only ever seen armed police in the area amid the heightened terror threat which followed high profile incidents in the UK during 2017.

Police were said to have blocked all roads in and out of the estate.

In the wake of the incident, a Cumbria Constabulary spokesman confirmed a call had been received around 9am. This “led to concerns for the welfare of a man at an address in Claife Avenue, Windermere”.

In court, defence barrister David Traynor said to the judge, Recorder Eric Lamb: “Your Honour will have seen the antecedent record. He is generally a hard-working man. Last year he had some issues with alcohol that led to these offences.”

Cutea will be sentenced on February 18.

He was remanded in custody in the meantime and told by Recorder Lamb: “All sentencing options remain open.”