FIREFIGHTERS have reminded the public of the importance of smoke alarms after attending five incidents in two days.

Walney Fire Station attended five callouts between Wednesday and Thursday this week – and are now urging householders to install life-saving smoke alarms in their property.

Fire crews were called out to assist Barrow Fire Station following a kitchen blaze in the area of Dalton Lane on Wednesday afternoon.

This was followed by a callout 40 minutes later to a home in Longway which was a false alarm.

Two hours later, firefighters were called to provide multi-agency support at a home in Whinlatter Drive where a woman in her 80s died.

Firefighters spent four hours at the house and are now working with police to establish what happened.

The woman’s death is not being treated as suspicious.

Fire crews were called out on Thursday at 1.35pm after reports of a smell of burning in a commercial building in the Hawcoat area.

Upon arrival, the team discovered the callout was a false alarm.

Later that evening, Walney Fire Station was called out again to assist the Barrow crews with a kitchen fire in a flat in Barrow.

Crews rushed to the home in Abbey Way at 11.23pm on Thursday.

Firefighters used two breathing apparatus and one hose reel to extinguish the fire.

A spokesman for Walney Fire Station reiterated the importance of vigilance when cooking and installing smoke alarms.

They said: “On Thursday night, the crew was mobilised to back up the Barrow crew following reports of a kitchen fire.

“Their quick response and actions brought the incident under control and our assistance was no longer required.

“It’s so important to keep your eye on your cooking. About two-thirds of all house fires start in the kitchen.

“We can’t stress enough that it is so important to have a smoke alarm installed in your property and please make sure you are regularly testing to make sure they work. Smoke alarms save lives, but only if they’re working.”