A MAN who assaulted his son has been sentenced to unpaid work.

Daniel Stubbs admitted that he assaulted his son when he appeared before South Cumbria Magistrates' Court.

The court heard that the 40-year-old, of Duke Street in Askam, had visited the home of his son's grandma and beaten him in the garden.

It was said to have a followed an incident in which emergency services were called over concerns for the son's welfare.

Prosecutor Jack Troup told the court: "The circumstances are that at 9.30pm on August 24 he was at his father's house house.

"He was with his friend and his girlfriend.

"There was an argument and Mr Stubbs got very upset and said he wanted to end his life.

"He made his way to a nearby bridge - the police were called and he was talked down."

Police then took Stubbs' son to his grandma's house in Urswick, where his father arrived shortly after.

Mr Troup said: "[Daniel Stubbs] came into his room and told him to get outside.

"He followed his father into the garden of the property.

"Daniel starting grabbing him by the throat."

The prosecutor described how Stubbs punched his son in the leg, dragged him to the floor and put his his knee to his neck.

The defendant then 'pinned him against the wall' and punched him, before his son 'blacked out', the court heard.

When the son came to two minutes later, Stubbs followed-up the attack by pushing him against a wall, it was said.

The court heard that the son sustained cuts to the back of his head.

Mr Troup said the defendant admitted to police officer that he had hit his son but not that he grabbed him by the throat.

Liz Phizacklea, mitigating, said: "After hearing about his son's attempted suicide he was very upset and simply retaliated for being upset.

"He describes the relationship as having some verbal abuse involved between them but never before has there been any violence."

Magistrates sentenced the defendant to 200 hours of unpaid work and ordered him to undertake 10 days of rehabilitation activities.