AN ELDERLY lady was rescued from her home in the second kitchen fire in Barrow this weekend.

Fire crews from Ulverston, Barrow and Walney responded to a fire at 10:57 this morning in St Bees Dr in Barrow in Furness.

A lady aged between 85-95 was rescued from her home after a fire broke out in her kitchen.

It is believed the fire started after a pan was left unattended on the stove.

Fire crews had to break into the property and rescue the occupant and were able to bring the fire under control.

The rescue took ten minutes to accomplish, and within 20 minutes the fire was put out.

The lady was not seriously injured and was transferred to hospital for observation.

This marks the second time a kitchen fire has occured for fire crews this weekend and the public are strongly advised not to leave kitchen appliances unattended.