A WOMAN has been convicted of assault after a quarrel with the new partner of her ex-boyfriend.

Samantha Brockbank found herself in the dock at South Cumbria Magistrates’ Court following the incident, which took place at Barrow Railway Station.

The court heard the pair were both waiting to board a train to their homes in Millom on platform three at the station.

The court heard the 28-year-old defendant spotted the victim and went towards her before the pair grappled, with Brockbank said to have pulled the hair of the victim, Gabriella Katherine Ellis.

Brockbank, of Queens Park in Millom, pleaded guilty to assault by beating.

Prosecutor Diane Jackson told the court the offence happened on January 25.

She said: “This took place on Barrow Railway Station on platform three.

“At around 7.45pm the victim was waiting to get a train back to Millom.

“Miss Brockbank then came towards and grabbed her and pulled her hair.

“Miss Brockbank was said to have told her ‘I’ve waited a long time for this’.

“The assault was unprovoked.

“The victim had two of her children with her at the time.”

The prosecutor said the victim would often try to avoid Brockbank if she ever encountered her in Millom.

Mrs Jackson said: “She says Millom is a small town and she crosses when she sees her to avoid her.

“She said she felt vulnerable and ‘always on edge’ in the town.”

The prosecutor added the victim said the incident had affected her relationship and caused her stress.

The court heard the defendant was asked by her mother-in-law why she assaulted the victim in front of her kids.

Brockbank replied: “I’ll give her a black eye next time.”

Magistrates were told the assaults led to scratches on the face and arms of the victim.

CCTV images played to the court showed Brockbank spotting the victim across the railway platform before fighting with her and pulling her hair.

The court heard the defendant had no previous convictions against her.

Magistrates were told the defendant had children with the partner of the victim.

Brockbank was represented in court by Michael Graham.

He claimed the defendant had been verbally abused by the victim in person and on Facebook.

“She’s reacted to provocation," he said.

“It’s an unplanned, spur of the moment, short duration incident.

“She’s apologetic about the way she behaved in a public place.

“It’s an embarrassment for her.”

Chairman of the bench Mike Halshaw sentenced Brockbank to a fine of £150.

The court did not order Brockbank to pay compensation to the victim as the prosecution had asked.

Mr Halshaw said: “This was a very unfortunate incident. If you spent more time focusing on your children you wouldn’t even be here.”

The defendant was also ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £32.

Brockbank was also told to pay £85 in costs to the Crown Prosecution Service for bringing the case before the court.