A ‘FOOLISH’ motorcyclist dangerously and illegally parked his ‘new toy’ on a high risk railway level crossing, a court heard.

Stuart Harris Davey posted photos on Facebook of his new motorcycle on the crossing at Furness Abbey and was reported to British Transport Police.

People are not allowed to access that level crossing unless they receive formal permission by calling from a phone at the location.

It emerged no such consent was granted to Davey, of Blake Street in Barrow, who later admitted he had not made any such formal request.

Prosecutor Lee Dacre said Furness Abbey was classed as a 'high risk' rail line crossing because of a nearby bend and tunnel.

“If a train comes there would not be sufficient stopping distance to avoid a collision, which would clearly endanger a person on the crossing but also people on the train,” said Mr Dacre.

“This appears to be a foolish incident rather than anything malicious.”

A Facebook caption read 'couple of photos of the new toy' with one image showing the bike - bought a fortnight earlier - on the crossing.

Davey, 42, admitted a charge of endangering the safety of a person conveyed by railway in the incident in May 2019, when he appeared at South Cumbria Magistrates’ Court.

No previous convictions were recorded against his name.

Andy Gallagher, defending, said of Davey: “This is an example of foolishness rather than any deliberate attempt to endanger anyone on the part of this defendant.

“What he tells me is that he was completely unaware this was, as it were, illegal. He certainly has not set out that day to commit any offences. Clearly he was pleased with his new bike and was going around taking photographs of it. Unfortunately one of these photographs is on the crossing. He acknowledges that and wants to plead guilty at the earliest opportunity today.”

A part-time taxi driver, Davey was said to have endured a difficult year due to personal circumstances.

“He had had the bike for no more than two weeks before these photographs were taken,” Mr Gallagher continued in his address to the District Judge Gerald Chalk.

“You have seen reference to a ‘new toy’. Clearly pleased with it, this was something of an escape from the reality of every day at this time.

"I would ask you to take into account the defendant’s previous exemplary character when dealing with it.”

District Judge Chalk fined Davey £150 and ordered him to pay costs and a surcharge.

He said: “The potential for danger to occur on this occasion was very high.

"I note, fortunately, no-one has suffered.”

Furness Abbey railway station was opened in 1846 by the Furness Railway on the line which now joins Lancaster with Barrow, and served the ruins of Furness Abbey and the Furness Abbey Hotel. It closed in 1950.