A NUMBER of emergency crews were required to tackle a domestic fire near Barrow town centre just after midday today.

At 12:32pm, two fire engines were called into central Barrow after reports of the incident at Ramsey Park.

On arrival, crews discovered the fire, which they say involved a deep fat fryer on a cooking hob in a domestic property.

They used two breathing apparatuses, one hose reel and a thermal imaging camera to extinguish the blaze.

The incident comes during the same week the county's fire and rescue service issued tips on fire safety for residents during lockdown.

Cumbria Fire and Rescue tweeted a diagram outlining safety tips - such as designing a sleeping routine, an escape route plan and regular checks on smoke alarm batteries.

Crews were in attendance at the scene of today's incident for approximately an hour and five minutes.