TEENAGERS laughed as they used their mobile phones to video a vicious assault on a teenage girl in a park.

Carlisle's Rickergate Youth Court was shown shocking footage of the violence, during which two schoolgirls repeatedly kicked and punched their victim as she lay helpless on the ground in Melbourne Park, Botcherby.

As the violence continued, teenagers who were watching could be heard laughing and urging their friends to use their phones to film the attack.

Nobody tried to help the girl or stop the violence.

One of the 17-year-old girls involved in the attack was this week dealt with by magistrates.

She admitted a common assault.

Pamela Fee, prosecuting, told magistrates that the two attackers were part of a 17-strong group aged between 13 and 18 who had gathered in the park on the evening of April 29. The violence flared after one of those involved was accused of making a false rape allegation.

Video footage showed how the assault victim - another young girl - was initially grabbed by the hair and then pulled to the ground, where she was repeatedly punched and kicked in the head by both the defendant and her accomplice.

"Nobody intervened," said Miss Fee.

"Parties were recording the incident on mobile phones."

The prosecutor described how during the assault, which went on for more than a minute, the girls took turns to punch and kick the victim to the head and chest as she lay on the ground pleading to be left alone.

The court heard that the defendant had a number of previous convictions for violent offences. "It was fortunate that more serious injuries were not caused," said Miss Fee, describing what happened as a sustained assault.

In court, the defendant was asked how she now felt about what she did that day.

"It was wrong," she told magistrates.

She said she had now changed her friendship group and no longer hung about with 'the wrong people.' She also agreed that she should pay the victim compensation for what she suffered.

The girl's mother, sitting beside her in court, said that the teenage now wanted to work with disadvantaged people and that she felt her daughter was unlikely to commit a similar offence in the future.

Presiding magistrate Nick Swinscoe told the teenager: "This was a serious assault."

Magistrates imposed a nine month youth rehabilitation order, with an eight week 7pm to 7am curfew.

The also ruled that the girl should pay the victim £75 compensation, as well as a £20 victim surcharge. The other girl involved in the assault was also given a referral order.