A LOOK at the different ways people in Millom and Haverigg have had fun through the decades featured in a talk to support a fundraising campaign to get new equipment and fencing by the Millom Slag Bank Play Area Association.

Today's pictures are a few of those to feature in the presentation by The Mail's nostalgia writer Bill Myers at the event held in Millom Methodist Church in support of the play area at the bottom of Albert Street - which was opened close to  20 years ago.

One of the town's key places of entertainment has been Millom Palladium, which was built as a recreation hall with money raised by a public subscription and was opened in1912.

In the mid 1920sthe shareholders sold the building to a cinema company with an arrangement that the Millom Amateur Operatic Society could continue to hold its annual musical shows there.

With the closure of Millom Ironworks in 1968 the cinema company put the Palladium up for sale at£6,000.

A public appeal helped the operatic society to buy it.

In 1977 the old cinema-style seats were removed and the billiard tables also came out.

A film club showed movies at the Palladium until 1983 and in 1986 a new roof for the Palladium cost £19,000.

In August 2000 a group of Second World War. Land Army workers made a return to Millom.

Nan Denner,Florence Smart and Nellie Walker were pictured outside the Palladium where they used to go to the pictures in what little free time they had.

From 1942 to1944 they were based at Kiskin Farm, Bootle.

The first Millom Amateur Operatic Society show was the Mikado in 1910 with the Gondoliers being performed in 1911.

There were no shows in the years 1915 to 1919 due to the First World War and no shows in the years 1940 to 1946 due to the Second World War.

In September2010 celebrations were held in the Palladium for the centenary of Millom Amateur Operatic Society.

Among items in an exhibition was this costume from The King and I in 1985.

Pubs and hotels in Millom and Haverigg offered everything from sporting events to fun days but many of the once popular establishments have been demolished or turned into housing in the past 50 years.

Among those to have gone include the Crown Hotel, in Lord Street; the Royal Hotel, on Market Street; the West County Hotel, on the Market Square, the Bankfield at Kirksanton;the Fox and Goose, in the Whicham Valley and the Ship and Red Lion on Holborn Hill.

Other ways to have fun to have featured in the talk were the swimming pool at Millom School and the annual carnival parades held at Haverigg and Millom.